LTH Home

Inexpensive dining near Steppenwolf, Goodman and Lyric Opera

Inexpensive dining near Steppenwolf, Goodman and Lyric Opera
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 20th, 2010, 10:31 am
    Post #31 - October 20th, 2010, 10:31 am Post #31 - October 20th, 2010, 10:31 am
    I, too, like a lite meal before a performance, and our go to place for that is Bin 36. Get a flight of cheese, some wine and maybe one other appetizer.

Jonah
  • Post #32 - December 11th, 2018, 8:34 am
    Post #32 - December 11th, 2018, 8:34 am Post #32 - December 11th, 2018, 8:34 am
    Resurrecting this thread to get some recommendations- going to see Santaland Diaries at Goodman this Saturday night with a friend. My friend has more restrictions than I do- she's not a particularly adventurous eater, so most ethnic food is out. I usually cringe when she orders because there's inevitably a couple ingredients she doesn't like, or wants something very customized....she must be a good friend because I still like going out with her :P Anyway, the one food group she's definitely not a fan of is seafood, so wherever we go has to have other options (*I* can still eat seafood!). $25 or less for entrees would be great, $30 or less would be acceptable for the right dish.

I pre-paid for parking across the street from the theater, but I think the weather's supposed to be fairly mild on Saturday, so I'm not opposed to walking a few blocks to get to the restaurant and back.

I don't go to the theaters downtown that often, but I know at the Italian Village, they'll hold your leftovers while you're at the show- not sure how common that is, but that would be awesome, though I suppose we could drop leftovers back at the car if we had to.

Italian Village was already on my list, Elephant and Castle on Wabash has been added now that I've looked at this thread...other ideas? The Dearborn was a little pricey for this trip.
  • Post #33 - December 11th, 2018, 8:38 am
    Post #33 - December 11th, 2018, 8:38 am Post #33 - December 11th, 2018, 8:38 am
    I'm pretty sure Petterino's (right next door to the Goodman) has entrees in the $25-or-less category. Might be worth downloading a menu to see.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #34 - December 11th, 2018, 10:17 am
    Post #34 - December 11th, 2018, 10:17 am Post #34 - December 11th, 2018, 10:17 am
    I know you said no ethnic, but I think Broken English has enough variety on the menu to appeal to the non taco crowd, although most of their Mexican offerings seemed pretty toned down to me. 75 E. Lake.

The wife and I will also hit up Staytion Bar across Lake at State for a charcuterie plate and a drink before the Goodman.
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #35 - December 12th, 2018, 1:35 pm
    Post #35 - December 12th, 2018, 1:35 pm Post #35 - December 12th, 2018, 1:35 pm
    riddlemay wrote:I'm pretty sure Petterino's (right next door to the Goodman) has entrees in the $25-or-less category. Might be worth downloading a menu to see.

Agree with this recommendation--a good choice for the non-adventurous eater (it's Lettuce Entertain You) but food is decent, and you can't beat the location for the Goodman.
  • Post #36 - December 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #36 - December 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #36 - December 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    We also like Trattoria No. 10 for pre-theater, and find that there are always some affordable options on the menu (especially if you stick to pasta).
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #37 - December 12th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    Post #37 - December 12th, 2018, 3:23 pm Post #37 - December 12th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    Petterino's also has specific pre-theater meals at a good set price.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:18 am
    Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:18 am Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:18 am
    If you do decide on Petterino's, keep in mind that this is the time of year when Lettuce Entertain You has their bonus gift card offer - buy $100 in gift cards, get a lightly-restricted $25 bonus card. The regular gift cards cannot be used the same day purchased. But if you can stop by any Lettuce restaurant at least a day before going to Petterino's, you can use the gift cards there and also keep the bonus card for use this winter.
  • Post #39 - December 16th, 2018, 11:52 am
    Post #39 - December 16th, 2018, 11:52 am Post #39 - December 16th, 2018, 11:52 am
    We ended up at Petterino's, though it was me and equally adventurous husband. My friend had to cancel at the last minute. We both did the pre-fixe- I had the crispy burrata, he had the SotD, Lobster Bisque. I got the papardelle Bolognese, he had the short rib. I got the Key lime pie, he got the tiramisu. Everything was really good and they got us in and out!
  • Post #40 - January 1st, 2019, 12:54 pm
    Post #40 - January 1st, 2019, 12:54 pm Post #40 - January 1st, 2019, 12:54 pm
    I'm going to include "expensive" as seems needless to have multiple threads on restaurants near theaters, readers can pick/choose pricepoints.

All following are restaurants near Steppenwolf

Boka - a favorite pre-Steppenwolf, plenty of info in the Boka thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2300&start=60

King Crab House - Steppenwolf theatre attendees get 20% off the bill. Mrs Willie & I usually grab a couple dozen oysters and have always been pleased. We went just the other night, tried other items and while still extremely pleased with the oysters, were not pleased with every other item we ordered.
    1) they were out of clams
    2) the peel & eat shrimp while some were perfect, there were enough that were mealy in texture to be put off
    3) "large" king crab legs are mediums at best, meat was mealy in texture & not a lot of flavor
    4) mussels were also mealy and again not a lot of flavor
    5) oysters still excellent
    King Crab House
    1816 N Halsted
    http://kingcrabchicago.com/

Willow Room - Mrs Willie & I went a few months back & I should have written it up then but alas didn't. There were some very good cocktails and some items that were very good as well as some that were just ok. (again sorry for lack of details). We did decide that it was worth another shot in the near future.
    Willow Room
    1800 N Halsted
    http://www.willowroomchicago.com/
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #41 - January 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm
    Post #41 - January 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm Post #41 - January 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm
    My inexpensive pre-Steppenwolf choice:

Burger Bar Chicago
    1578 N Clybourn Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 255-0055
    http://burgerbarchicago.com/

Creative burgers that are actually cooked to order.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #42 - January 1st, 2019, 4:31 pm
    Post #42 - January 1st, 2019, 4:31 pm Post #42 - January 1st, 2019, 4:31 pm
    A few blocks north of Steppenwolf at Halsted and Armitage is Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba, which has been around a long time and (based on a fairly recent visit) is still very good as well as a very good value for the money. Also at that intersection is Oyster Bah, and its spinoff for all-you-can-eat king crab and burgers, Crab Cellar.
  • Post #43 - January 6th, 2023, 8:27 am
    Post #43 - January 6th, 2023, 8:27 am Post #43 - January 6th, 2023, 8:27 am
    Mrs Willie & I are longtime season subscribers to Steppenwolf.

Last night we tried Earl's for a pre-show dinner. Holly the server was terrific, like most spots staff shortages are in effect. The hostess was also hustling bringing out entrees and setting tables. So big thumbs up for service.

Earl's is one of those menus where I just can't seem to create a cohesive/flow of a meal from. We both ended up with burgers which were decent. Good wine by the glass selection.

A 9 min walk from Steppenwolf.

Earl's
    1538 North Clybourn Avenue, Unit A108
    Chicago, IL
    https://earls.ca/locations/lincoln-park/
    Dave148 wrote:My inexpensive pre-Steppenwolf choice:

Burger Bar Chicago
    1578 N Clybourn Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 255-0055

We had partaken of Burger Bar a couple of times, it is now closed/shuttered.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #44 - January 6th, 2023, 8:50 am
    Post #44 - January 6th, 2023, 8:50 am Post #44 - January 6th, 2023, 8:50 am
    Well this thread goes back many years, but (for The Goodman) since then the UrbanSpace food hall at Washington/Dearborn has opened up with a number of options inside. Open until 8 (until 6 on Saturdays, closed Sundays).
  • Post #45 - January 6th, 2023, 8:59 am
    Post #45 - January 6th, 2023, 8:59 am Post #45 - January 6th, 2023, 8:59 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Mrs Willie & I are longtime season subscribers to Steppenwolf.

Last night we tried Earl's for a pre-show dinner. Holly the server was terrific, like most spots staff shortages are in effect. The hostess was also hustling bringing out entrees and setting tables. So big thumbs up for service.

Earl's is one of those menus where I just can't seem to create a cohesive/flow of a meal from. We both ended up with burgers which were decent. Good wine by the glass selection.

A 9 min walk from Steppenwolf.

Earl's
    1538 North Clybourn Avenue, Unit A108
    Chicago, IL
    https://earls.ca/locations/lincoln-park/
    Dave148 wrote:My inexpensive pre-Steppenwolf choice:

Burger Bar Chicago
    1578 N Clybourn Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 255-0055

We had partaken of Burger Bar a couple of times, it is now closed/shuttered.

Yeah. Kind of sucks. Thanks for posting about Earl’s. Looks like a decent alternative.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #46 - January 6th, 2023, 10:16 am
    Post #46 - January 6th, 2023, 10:16 am Post #46 - January 6th, 2023, 10:16 am
    I have started going to Stand Up Burgers at Wells and Lake before my Fri. Lyric subscription. All plant based stuff, and the Strawberry Milkshake is legit! I am sad that the Indian fastfood places like Naansense and Bombay Wraps are closed for the evening. I have found that being a vegetarian puts a real crimp in finding places close to Lyric.

My CSO subscription is Sat at 8; so that gives me more time to find places to eat before the show as it is weekend. But I like that I can go to Hot Woks/Cool Sushi, if I can't get to Chinatown.

Stand Up Burgers
    204 North Wells St.

Hours
    Monday - Saturday: 11am - 9pm
    Sunday: 11pm - 8pm
  • Post #47 - January 6th, 2023, 10:53 am
    Post #47 - January 6th, 2023, 10:53 am Post #47 - January 6th, 2023, 10:53 am
    Indianbadger wrote:I have found that being a vegetarian puts a real crimp in finding places close to Lyric.

My CSO subscription is Sat at 8; so that gives me more time to find places to eat before the show as it is weekend. But I like that I can go to Hot Woks/Cool Sushi, if I can't get to Chinatown.

Stand Up Burgers
    204 North Wells St.

Hours
    Monday - Saturday: 11am - 9pm
    Sunday: 11pm - 8pm

The recently-opened Kinsley in the UBS building at Franklin/Madison is open until 8 during the week and has a very nice bar in addition to a menu that offers breakfast all-day in addition to lighter fare. Many non-meat options. The food has not wowed me but it's a decent spot when your options are limited. UrbanSpace also has a food hall at the Sears Tower which is open until 8. A few steps further away but a good variety. Fifty/50 is opening a live-fire restaurant, Kindling, pretty soon, also at the Tower. Not as appealing for vegetarians, but a nice option. Also, the Bank of America building just north of the Opera House has two Jose Andres restaurants, Bar Mar and Bazaar Meats.

As for the Hot Woks/Cool Sushi, that location has been closed since COVID hit. Not sure if it'll reopen. If you want overpriced Sushi then Sushi San in the Tower across the street is open.
  • Post #48 - January 8th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    Post #48 - January 8th, 2023, 12:10 pm Post #48 - January 8th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:The recently-opened Kinsley in the UBS building at Franklin/Madison is open until 8 during the week and has a very nice bar in addition to a menu that offers breakfast all-day in addition to lighter fare. Many non-meat options. The food has not wowed me but it's a decent spot when your options are limited. UrbanSpace also has a food hall at the Sears Tower which is open until 8. A few steps further away but a good variety. Fifty/50 is opening a live-fire restaurant, Kindling, pretty soon, also at the Tower. Not as appealing for vegetarians, but a nice option. Also, the Bank of America building just north of the Opera House has two Jose Andres restaurants, Bar Mar and Bazaar Meats.

As for the Hot Woks/Cool Sushi, that location has been closed since COVID hit. Not sure if it'll reopen. If you want overpriced Sushi then Sushi San in the Tower across the street is open.

These 2 seem good options for me for Friday. Thanks.

Also, Hot Woks Cool Sushi seems to be open, according to their website. They have a second location on Adams now too, looks like. That may be another option for Opera night!
  • Post #49 - January 8th, 2023, 12:27 pm
    Post #49 - January 8th, 2023, 12:27 pm Post #49 - January 8th, 2023, 12:27 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:The recently-opened Kinsley in the UBS building at Franklin/Madison is open until 8 during the week and has a very nice bar in addition to a menu that offers breakfast all-day in addition to lighter fare. Many non-meat options. The food has not wowed me but it's a decent spot when your options are limited. UrbanSpace also has a food hall at the Sears Tower which is open until 8. A few steps further away but a good variety. Fifty/50 is opening a live-fire restaurant, Kindling, pretty soon, also at the Tower. Not as appealing for vegetarians, but a nice option. Also, the Bank of America building just north of the Opera House has two Jose Andres restaurants, Bar Mar and Bazaar Meats.

These 2 seem good options for me for Friday. Thanks.

Also, Hot Woks Cool Sushi seems to be open, according to their website. They have a second location on Adams now too, looks like. That may be another option for Opera night!

The Michigan Ave Hot Woks has remained open through COVID. The Adams/Franklin one (near the Opera House) closed very early during COVID and has not reopened.
  • Post #50 - January 8th, 2023, 1:13 pm
    Post #50 - January 8th, 2023, 1:13 pm Post #50 - January 8th, 2023, 1:13 pm
    Thanks!

Saved me a trip there.
  • Post #51 - January 13th, 2023, 2:44 pm
    Post #51 - January 13th, 2023, 2:44 pm Post #51 - January 13th, 2023, 2:44 pm
    For Steppenwolf, Vinci, right next door at Willow, is still pumping out reliable Pastas and other Italian fare. They do a lot of pre-theater dinners, and will get you out on time. In the past they've even kept leftovers to pick up after the show. I think you can also combine the Valet parking, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more