Get a Taste of Burma

Posted June 24th 2008, 11:32pm
I promised SteveZ at the 1,000 recipe potluck that I would post about my new KBBQ find. I wrote a "non-foodie" review here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kang-nam-restau ... p6iEOqmwEw,

I've been a San Soo Gap San goer for years and ordered the bulgogi religiously. But my friend David convinced my that kalbi (beef short ribs) was perfectly marinated and "higher quality" than the bulgogi I was slumming with at SSGP. As it turned out, David was right on the money. The meat is completely different, more likely eating endless bites of juicy steak than small shavings.

There's four courses at Kang Nam, starting with the korean pancake, which has the texture of soft roti with sundry greens (chives? green onions?). Then the soup course (not quite miso and way spicier) comes sometime after the waiter snips the kalbi into pieces.

*pause for delicious kalbi*

And then these tiny yogurt drinks that I used to get in China are here! A great ending to a great meal.

Eaterlover eats at writes at bicurean.com
Posted June 25th 2008, 12:07am
Ciao. Kang Nam is a favorite here dating to the dawn of LTH, especially for the benchmark dolsot bibimbap. Kang Nam should be a GNR.

Charter Member
Posted June 25th 2008, 4:25am
Kang Nam has long been my benchmark Korean restaurant.

More here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6302

Best,
Michael
Posted June 25th 2008, 7:23am
JeffB wrote:Kang Nam should be a GNR.

The season is almost upon us....

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
Posted June 25th 2008, 7:47am
Eaterlover wrote:*pause for delicious kalbi*

EaterLover,

Kalbi at Kang Nam is terrific, one of the few places that still use live charcoal to cook, but the dolsot bibimbap is my favorite. I am not sure how they do it, but the rice stays volcanically hot for an implausibly long period of time, yet the yoke on the egg crowning the dolsot bibimbap remains curiously, deliciously, runny soft.

Hai Woon Dae, which also uses live charcoal, is another top pick, if you have not been I suggest a visit soon.

Enjoy,
Gary

Hai Woon Dae
6240 N California Ave
Chicago, IL 60659
773-764-8018

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
Posted June 25th 2008, 11:21am
The prices are amazingly reasonable at Kang Nam. A friend and I ate there for less than $20 for the both of us. Of course we didn't have bbq, but for 2 adult dinners in the city you can't really beat that.

Also, they have one of my favorite Dolsit Bim Bim Bops.
Posted June 25th 2008, 6:20pm
Went to Hai Woon Dae for the first time last week, very very fine meal, I think I prefer it to SS?G (plus, I can maybe remember its name). Only disappointment was that when we ordered bibimbap, they said they didn't have it "yet" -- this was about 6pm on Sunday. Very sad. And, not enough kim chee and other pickled panchan -- though I guess I could have asked to have the dish we did have refilled.

I guess the fact that we couldn't have bibimbap means that we have to go back soon, very soon.
Posted June 25th 2008, 8:32pm
Judy H wrote:Went to Hai Woon Dae... Only disappointment was that when we ordered bibimbap, they said they didn't have it "yet" -- this was about 6pm on Sunday.

:shock: Whaaat?!?!?!
Home Cookin'

Online Information