LTH Home

Dog-Friendly dining on far northside?

Dog-Friendly dining on far northside?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dog-Friendly dining on far northside?

Post #1 - June 18th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    Post #1 - June 18th, 2008, 5:40 pm Post #1 - June 18th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    I came across this piece on Metromix about dog-friendly patios, but nothing it didn't list anything north of Lincoln Square.

http://chicago.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/roundup/dog-friendly-dining-outdoors/443031/content

We're in Rogers Park - any options up north (Edgewater, Andersonville, RP, Evanston, etc.?)
  • Post #2 - June 18th, 2008, 8:06 pm
    Post #2 - June 18th, 2008, 8:06 pm Post #2 - June 18th, 2008, 8:06 pm
    The Edgewater Lounge at Ashland and Bryn Mawr might let you bring your dog on to their sidewalk patio area.
  • Post #3 - June 18th, 2008, 8:12 pm
    Post #3 - June 18th, 2008, 8:12 pm Post #3 - June 18th, 2008, 8:12 pm
    Charmers cafe at the corner of Jarvis & Greenview is very dog friendly. Good coffee, and steamed bagel sandwiches - the pastrami is fantastic!

Poitin Stil - the Irish Pub next to Charmers is also very dog friendly - the dogs can come in! But, they do not have a patio, although all the windows open out when the weather is nice. Our dog tries to go in the Stil nearly every morning at 5am when we walk by, just because he's been there before! :lol:

Also the Lakeside cafe at Howard & Sheridan, but the nasty diesel fumes from all the buses can make it not so pleasant.
  • Post #4 - June 19th, 2008, 9:10 pm
    Post #4 - June 19th, 2008, 9:10 pm Post #4 - June 19th, 2008, 9:10 pm
    We've brought our dog to Edgewater Lounge - not this year though, so you might want to double check.

My neighbor told me the other day that the Einstein's in Andersonville will let you bring your dog on their back patio...
  • Post #5 - June 20th, 2008, 9:17 am
    Post #5 - June 20th, 2008, 9:17 am Post #5 - June 20th, 2008, 9:17 am
    I'm not fond of dogs (or any pets) being in dining areas and might choose to go elsewhere if I see one present. Though, I've seen many dogs that are better behaved than people are - and dogs don't interrupt things with a cellphone. I'll be surprised if Heartland Cafe doesn't allow guests to arrive with a dog, at the outdoor seating area.
  • Post #6 - June 21st, 2008, 9:44 am
    Post #6 - June 21st, 2008, 9:44 am Post #6 - June 21st, 2008, 9:44 am
    If you can catch one of the outdoor tables along the fence at Heartland, you can bring your dog and tie them to the other side of the fence near your table. They are not allowed inside the dining area.
  • Post #7 - June 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm
    Post #7 - June 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm Post #7 - June 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm
    For those of us who tend to agree with Bill (above), this thread functions as a handy guide to places to avoid.

Please keep it going!
    -James

www.tydirium.net:
    Tiki Road Trip, Big Stone Head, James' cinema writings and travelogues, Left Orbit Temple, Cocktail Snob, and more!
  • Post #8 - June 23rd, 2008, 1:52 am
    Post #8 - June 23rd, 2008, 1:52 am Post #8 - June 23rd, 2008, 1:52 am
    tikibars wrote:For those of us who tend to agree with Bill (above), this thread functions as a handy guide to places to avoid.

Please keep it going!

I hate to break it to you, but dog-friendly restaurants and bars in a dense urban environment (i.e. central Chicago) statistically increase their business for the same underlying reason that being a "No Dogs" condo decreases property values. There are more dog lovers or "dog neutral" people out there than there are dog haters. It's simple supply and demand. For every customer (or condo buyer) that one attracts with an anti-dog policy they lose 1+x.

Last year, the Tribune had an in-depth article on how many condo boards were abandoning no dog policies in the wake of the declining housing market because they knew that, statistically, they would attract more buyers with the new policy than they would lose anti-dog potential buyers.
  • Post #9 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:08 pm
    Post #9 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:08 pm Post #9 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:08 pm
    Sam, with all respect to you and your opinions and/or the 'facts' that you have quoted, I would like to point out two things:

First, the fact that I do not like dogs (and will go out of my way to avoid a restaurant that allows them) was not meant as a personal attack on you or anyone else on this board, or on anyone in the world.

I think that a restaurant is no place for your (or anyone's) mangy cur, and I don't want to eat in a room full of animals. That is my personal preference, and I do not fault you or anyone else for having the opposite point of view.
    Go your your dog park, your dog restaurant, and your dog-friendly condo.
    Have a good time.
    Seriously - there is no sarcasm meant here.
    Enjoy the hell out of yourself and your fellow dog lovers.

Just don't ask me to lunch if you are going to bring your mutt.

One of the few freedoms we have left is the freedom to disagree with people and not have to hate each other or persecute each other for having a different point of view.
    You have yours, I have mine, everything is happy.

Second, don't feel bad about 'breaking' anything to me. Whether or not *other* people like something (in this case bringing their pets out in public), has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not *I* will like it. I make my choices based on *my* desires and needs, not on other people's.

It also may be true that one study (the Trib study that you mentioned) shows that allowing animals may increase revenues for some condo buildings or restaurants, and without further research on my part (can't be bothered), I will not argue this point one way or the other.

But why on Earth do you think I would care if any given random restaurant or condo building makes more money? Why would this statistic make any difference in my choice to avoid places that allow dogs? It is a completely irrelevant argument that does nothing to further your point, unless you believe that I am an investor looking to buy a restaurant or condo building.
    I am not.

My only point in posting, which you seem to have completely missed, is that this thread serves two useful functions, which is to let dog lovers know where to take their pets, and to let dog loathers know where to not go.
    It is a good thing when one thread helps two groups of people - especially two groups of people with opposite viewpoints.
    Why do you have a problem with that?

And now (hopefully) back to the issue at hand....

Pray tell, my dog loving friends, where shall I continue to avoid dining?
    :-)
    -James

www.tydirium.net:
    Tiki Road Trip, Big Stone Head, James' cinema writings and travelogues, Left Orbit Temple, Cocktail Snob, and more!
  • Post #10 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:27 pm
    Post #10 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:27 pm Post #10 - June 23rd, 2008, 3:27 pm
    tikibars wrote:I think that a restaurant is no place for your (or anyone's) mangy cur [ . . . ]

Who (or what) are you calling mangy? Because I've seen human patrons that are much mangier than this guy:

He's better behaved than a lot of restaurant patrons, too.
  • Post #11 - June 23rd, 2008, 4:27 pm
    Post #11 - June 23rd, 2008, 4:27 pm Post #11 - June 23rd, 2008, 4:27 pm
    Dog haters mystify me.

There are plenty of places where we could theoretically take the dogs, if we tied them to the divider and left them outside the dining area. Unfortunately, tying a greyhound to anything is a really bad idea - you never know when something appetizing like a squirrel might amble by.

I'm a bit confused by the fact that the city only allows dogs on patios when the restaurant purchases a permit. Does paying the fee magically make it healthier to eat with pooches?
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #12 - June 23rd, 2008, 5:22 pm
    Post #12 - June 23rd, 2008, 5:22 pm Post #12 - June 23rd, 2008, 5:22 pm
    As a dog owner and lover, I feel I should make one point - many people are very allergic to dogs. It makes sense to me that dogs should be kept outside and separate, as, indoors, the allergens (not to mention hair) can remain where animals have been (I am allergic to cats to this degree - a friend of mine's cat passed away last year, but I still needed medication to visit her until recently) While I of course support access for guide animals, I am bothered by the recent trend of Paris Hilton-types bringing their dogs everywhere they go: I was recently eating at Sea Ranch and a customer walked their Pekingese through the shop without concern for the owners, who could be cited and fined for "allowing" animals on the premises.
  • Post #13 - June 23rd, 2008, 10:26 pm
    Post #13 - June 23rd, 2008, 10:26 pm Post #13 - June 23rd, 2008, 10:26 pm
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:I'm a bit confused by the fact that the city only allows dogs on patios when the restaurant purchases a permit. Does paying the fee magically make it healthier to eat with pooches?

very little in this city is done without revenue generation in mind...
  • Post #14 - June 24th, 2008, 1:08 am
    Post #14 - June 24th, 2008, 1:08 am Post #14 - June 24th, 2008, 1:08 am
    Can we stay on topic and leave personal feelings about pets "personal" please? No need to turn a perfectly fine LTH topic into a flame war.

I don't live on the north side, but do come up every so often w/ my dog, would love to hear more from fellow LTHers on local recommendations. FWIW, not answering OP's question, but I've been to Zapatista in s. loop and Panera Bread on Diversey this month so far and have been able to secure him to the outside of the patio fence and have a perfectly undisrupted meal from either establishment. Zapatista did mention he "must" be outside of patio throughout our meal when we first sat down which was to be expected.
  • Post #15 - June 24th, 2008, 8:58 am
    Post #15 - June 24th, 2008, 8:58 am Post #15 - June 24th, 2008, 8:58 am
    fenger wrote:Zapatista did mention he "must" be outside of patio throughout our meal when we first sat down which was to be expected.

it was expected in the past when it technically wasn't legal, but as i understand it now, the new dog friendly law actually allows the dog to be in the outside dining area seated with you (well, presumably seated under your seat). employees aren't allowed to touch the dog, and it can't eat any food at all, only water. and they're supposed to sanitize the chairs/area after a dog leaves, whatever that means.

i read an article on the new dog licensing a few months ago and they had interviewed Uncommon Ground as a place that had gotten the license... so there's one for your list at least ;)

also, i know in the past that Cyrano's Bistro was extremely dog friendly so I'd be surprised if they didn't have this permit by now... if you search yelp for "dog friendly restaurants" you'll find a whole thread (actually i think there were two) on this very topic where people were actually helpful in listing a bunch of dog friendly restaurants/cafes and even bars. obviously the bars that allow dogs indoors aren't really following the law, but as a dog owner that's to your benefit I guess ehh.
  • Post #16 - June 24th, 2008, 8:59 am
    Post #16 - June 24th, 2008, 8:59 am Post #16 - June 24th, 2008, 8:59 am
    btw, here is a copy of the ordinance that spells out what is required of the restaurant/patron, etc... http://www.amlegal.com/pdffiles/Chicago ... 7-6866.pdf
  • Post #17 - June 24th, 2008, 9:07 am
    Post #17 - June 24th, 2008, 9:07 am Post #17 - June 24th, 2008, 9:07 am
    A lot of the outdoor patios in Evanston are just part of the sidewalk; I don't know that there's any ordinance about dogs and outdoor dining at all, but I'll ask around. If so, Evanston may be your best bet.
  • Post #18 - June 24th, 2008, 9:40 am
    Post #18 - June 24th, 2008, 9:40 am Post #18 - June 24th, 2008, 9:40 am
    dddane wrote:
    fenger wrote:Zapatista did mention he "must" be outside of patio throughout our meal when we first sat down which was to be expected.

it was expected in the past when it technically wasn't legal, but as i understand it now, the new dog friendly law actually allows the dog to be in the outside dining area seated with you (well, presumably seated under your seat). employees aren't allowed to touch the dog, and it can't eat any food at all, only water. and they're supposed to sanitize the chairs/area after a dog leaves, whatever that means.

Right, that is correct. But remember, it isn't quite sanitary to do so unless a permit is purchased first. So it's a good idea to call the restaurant first and check where you will be expected to stow your pooch.

Actually, the new dog law doesn't really help me out much. My two are too big to comfortably fit on most patio spaces, and it's not really fair to ask my fellow patrons to arrange themselves around roughly 160 pounds of lanky dog. Also, they lack the fur and fat padding of most dogs, so it wouldn't be fair to them, either.

It's at times like this that I understand the advantages in having a lap-sized dog.

Edit: I forgot the thing I was originally posting to say. Charlie's Ale House on Clark has seemingly always allowed dogs at its sidewalk tables. The space is pretty narrow, though, so it's probably only a good bet for those of you with Maltese or perhaps Corgis or similar.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #19 - June 6th, 2018, 6:48 am
    Post #19 - June 6th, 2018, 6:48 am Post #19 - June 6th, 2018, 6:48 am
    This place is the ultimate in dog-friendly, but you'd have to travel west:
    Dine with Your Dog at Potter's Place!
    Monday, June 11, 2018
    5:00 - 9:00 pm (29 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville)
    Enjoy burritos, brews and more with your four-legged friend at Potter's Place in downtown Naperville for Dine with Your Dog! We'll be there offering a canine menu. Your dog can fest on a delicious meal with dog beer and enjoy a dog cigar afterwards! Have fun and support a good cause. Proceeds from the event benefit the Save-A-Vet organization. #petsuppliesplus #minusthehassle
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #20 - June 6th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Post #20 - June 6th, 2018, 9:15 am Post #20 - June 6th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Burke's Public House in Edgewater has a dog-friendly patio. I saw a couple and their dog on the Indie Café patio. The Norse is a dog-friendly bar where you can order food in. More in Albany Park, Lizard's Lounge is another bar that welcomes your furry companion. Used to be a great 1-2 punch with Small's next door. RIP Small's. :( Best to call ahead to confirm dog-friendliness of any location.

Burke's Public House
    5401 N Broadway, Chicago
    773-944-1109

Indie Café
    5951 N Broadway, Chicago
    773-561-5111

The Norse Bar
    6334 N Clark St, Chicago
    773-942-6344

Lizards Liquid Lounge
    3058 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago, IL
    773-463-7599
    -Mary
  • Post #21 - June 6th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Post #21 - June 6th, 2018, 10:42 am Post #21 - June 6th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Finally made it to Metropolitan Brewing's new tap room with great views of the river. Very dog (and kid) friendly, once you get to it after traveling through the work-in-progress buildings. No real food, but you can bring your own, or have it delivered (Grubhub, etc.)

Metropolitan Brewing (features German Lagers)
    3057 N Rockwell St (then down a long walkway and a few sets of doors)
    Chicago, IL

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more