LTH Home

Did I Miss My Smelt Window ?

Did I Miss My Smelt Window ?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 21st, 2013, 2:07 pm
    Post #61 - March 21st, 2013, 2:07 pm Post #61 - March 21st, 2013, 2:07 pm
    I had the smelt at the Parthenon in Greektown the other day. Tough and tasteless. I think maybe they'd been sitting under a heat lamp waiting for the rest of the table's order to get done (somehow the 20 minute red snapper took 50). I took most of them home anyway and reheated in a cast iron skillet with some Sichaun peppercorns and some cajun seasoning but they still didn't come 10% of the way up to the smelt at Market Creations.
  • Post #62 - March 21st, 2013, 2:58 pm
    Post #62 - March 21st, 2013, 2:58 pm Post #62 - March 21st, 2013, 2:58 pm
    I had some pristinely fresh and perfectly fried smelt last week at Boston Fish Market. These were far and away the best fried smelt I've had in many years. They source them from Lake Erie right now. My only regret was that I didn't have my camera with me. Smelt lovers: get there before they're gone!

    P.S. The same goes for yellow lake perch as well, which they are presently sourcing from Manitoba.

    Boston Fish Market
    1225 E. Forest Ave.
    Des Plaines, IL 60018
    (847) 296-1111
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #63 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:03 pm
    Post #63 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:03 pm Post #63 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:03 pm
    stevez wrote:I had some pristinely fresh and perfectly fried smelt last week at Boston Fish Market. These were far and away the best fried smelt I've had in many years. They source them from Lake Erie right now. My only regret was that I didn't have my camera with me. Smelt lovers: get there before they're gone!

    P.S. The same goes for yellow lake perch as well, which they are presently sourcing from Manitoba.

    Boston Fish Market
    1225 E. Forest Ave.
    Des Plaines, IL 60018
    (847) 296-1111


    Was going to just post about this same place! I stopped in today for an after lunch snack and the fried smelt are indeed some of the best I've had.
  • Post #64 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:55 pm
    Post #64 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:55 pm Post #64 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:55 pm
    Okay, okay, you're making me hungry. I don't see anything on their website about their hours, though Yelp says they close at 5. Anyone know?

    jvalentino wrote:
    stevez wrote:I had some pristinely fresh and perfectly fried smelt last week at Boston Fish Market. These were far and away the best fried smelt I've had in many years. They source them from Lake Erie right now. My only regret was that I didn't have my camera with me. Smelt lovers: get there before they're gone!

    P.S. The same goes for yellow lake perch as well, which they are presently sourcing from Manitoba.

    Boston Fish Market
    1225 E. Forest Ave.
    Des Plaines, IL 60018
    (847) 296-1111


    Was going to just post about this same place! I stopped in today for an after lunch snack and the fried smelt are indeed some of the best I've had.
  • Post #65 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm
    Post #65 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm Post #65 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm
    Ann Fisher wrote:Okay, okay, you're making me hungry. I don't see anything on their website about their hours, though Yelp says they close at 5. Anyone know?

    jvalentino wrote:
    stevez wrote:I had some pristinely fresh and perfectly fried smelt last week at Boston Fish Market. These were far and away the best fried smelt I've had in many years. They source them from Lake Erie right now. My only regret was that I didn't have my camera with me. Smelt lovers: get there before they're gone!

    P.S. The same goes for yellow lake perch as well, which they are presently sourcing from Manitoba.

    Boston Fish Market
    1225 E. Forest Ave.
    Des Plaines, IL 60018
    (847) 296-1111


    Was going to just post about this same place! I stopped in today for an after lunch snack and the fried smelt are indeed some of the best I've had.


    They close at 5:00 every day and are closed on Sunday.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #66 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:54 pm
    Post #66 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:54 pm Post #66 - March 22nd, 2013, 8:54 pm
    Just finished some fried smelt at Lula...served with a passion fruit panzanella. My first trip to Lula...I'm not sure why.
  • Post #67 - March 23rd, 2013, 12:11 am
    Post #67 - March 23rd, 2013, 12:11 am Post #67 - March 23rd, 2013, 12:11 am
    The smelts @ Boston C-food were prime examples. Had we stopped there I'd have been happy. The perch that followed was even better, as was the octopus. Exciting find.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #68 - March 26th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #68 - March 26th, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #68 - March 26th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Well, I went to Market Creations in the Prudential Building today and. . .no Smelt. So I guess I did miss the Smelt window. They said next week they'll have Smelt for sure.
  • Post #69 - March 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm
    Post #69 - March 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm Post #69 - March 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm
    bw77 wrote:Well, I went to Market Creations in the Prudential Building today and. . .no Smelt. So I guess I did miss the Smelt window. They said next week they'll have Smelt for sure.


    I'm delighted that someone else is asking for them. I knew they didn't have them today, because I check their menu before I head out. I hope you at least had the sweet chili sole, which is also delicious (as are all their sole dishes).
  • Post #70 - March 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm
    Post #70 - March 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm Post #70 - March 26th, 2013, 4:42 pm
    It's great that we have the promise of smelt at Market Creations next Tuesday. I've created an event. Hope some others can join me!
  • Post #71 - March 30th, 2013, 11:13 am
    Post #71 - March 30th, 2013, 11:13 am Post #71 - March 30th, 2013, 11:13 am
    I'm gonna try.
  • Post #72 - April 1st, 2013, 9:55 pm
    Post #72 - April 1st, 2013, 9:55 pm Post #72 - April 1st, 2013, 9:55 pm
    I made the trip to Des Plaines for the Boston Seafood Co smelt and yellow perch this weekend. The perch was terrific. The smelt were fine--very fresh, lightly battered, perfectly cooked. But a little boring. I like Market Creations S & P smelt better.
  • Post #73 - April 1st, 2013, 10:55 pm
    Post #73 - April 1st, 2013, 10:55 pm Post #73 - April 1st, 2013, 10:55 pm
    Autre Monde in Berwyn had some stellar fried smelts with mint and charred lemon last week as part of their Passover menu. I may clamor for a regular seasonal addition since they clearly have a great ingredient pipeline.
  • Post #74 - April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm
    Post #74 - April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm Post #74 - April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm
    Caputo's in Naperville had a nice supply of fresh smelt in their seafood section this past weekend.
  • Post #75 - April 2nd, 2013, 4:31 pm
    Post #75 - April 2nd, 2013, 4:31 pm Post #75 - April 2nd, 2013, 4:31 pm
    Had smelt at Calumet Fisheries. A little overly battered for my taste, but the nostalgia of eating on the hood of my car made them pretty darn enjoyable. As was the smoked garlic and pepper salmon and smoked shrimp.
  • Post #76 - April 30th, 2013, 12:12 pm
    Post #76 - April 30th, 2013, 12:12 pm Post #76 - April 30th, 2013, 12:12 pm
    Salt and Pepper Smelt is on the menu today at Market Creations in the Pru if anyone is having a craving.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #77 - April 30th, 2013, 12:29 pm
    Post #77 - April 30th, 2013, 12:29 pm Post #77 - April 30th, 2013, 12:29 pm
    Actually, I was finally able to get over to the Prudential Bldg. today and I have some in front of me right now. The smelt is very good and well seasoned. My guess is that it is even better and a bit crunchier if you arrive early. I think mine had been on the steam table for a while, but even so, worth the walk over for me. Thanks.

    Wings are good too.
  • Post #78 - May 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm
    Post #78 - May 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm Post #78 - May 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm
    Just for future reference (though there hasn't been smelt the last couple of weeks). The steam table trays get refilled frequently. If the tray is getting low, just hang around for a few minutes and it's sure to be filled up. That, of course, is the time to make the grab!

    The chef at the Prudential Market Creations is now working weekends at a new family-run Asian buffet in Wood Dale. Fusions, in the Georgetown Square mall. He said that it's much of the same Asian food that he prepares at the Prudential building "but with better technique." I normally avoid buffets in general, and Asian buffets in particular, but might make an exception for Tai. Very nice Yelp review, stressing the Vietnamese items (Tai is Vietnamese) here.
    Last edited by Ann Fisher on May 13th, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #79 - May 13th, 2013, 1:45 pm
    Post #79 - May 13th, 2013, 1:45 pm Post #79 - May 13th, 2013, 1:45 pm
    I noticed Tavern on the Park, also in the Pru, is featuring smelts on their appetizer menu. Haven't tried them yet, but they are on offer.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #80 - April 14th, 2017, 11:59 am
    Post #80 - April 14th, 2017, 11:59 am Post #80 - April 14th, 2017, 11:59 am
    Pete's Fresh market in Oak Park has fried smelt at the hot-bar.
    I'm not vouching for the quality but if you dare, they're there.
  • Post #81 - April 14th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Post #81 - April 14th, 2017, 1:11 pm Post #81 - April 14th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    66th Annual Port Washington (Wi) Legion Smelt Fry on April 21 and 22. Times both days are 4:30 to 9:00. Good stuff.
  • Post #82 - March 9th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Post #82 - March 9th, 2018, 6:40 pm Post #82 - March 9th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Is smelt season coming early this year?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more