LTH Home

A Manny's Welcome Home

A Manny's Welcome Home
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 7
  • A Manny's Welcome Home

Post #1 - October 20th, 2004, 3:10 pm
    Post #1 - October 20th, 2004, 3:10 pm Post #1 - October 20th, 2004, 3:10 pm
    After being gone for a week eating Southwestern and California type cusine (a separate post about San Diego is to follow). I returned right in the middle of the first of the fall gloomy weather snaps thinking it was a Stormy Monday...but wait, I realized it's Wednesday and that means it's short ribs day at Manny's! As I have pointed out before, I feel the short ribs served at Manny's on Wednesday are the best version to be had in a restaurant. For those not familiar with my insight/delusion, I really think that although Manny's serves braised short ribs on several days of the week, the ones served on Wednesday are somehow better, with a more flavorful sauce. The short ribs today were stellar, and a perfect welcome home to a guy who is sick of eating sprouts on everything!

The accompanying oven roasted potatoes and carrots were the perfect companions to the unctious, falling-off-the-bone braised beef, which had been slowly cooked for several hours in the ever so slightly sweet/sour/tomatoey juice. I would eat this lunch every day for a week if I could.

Manny's Short Ribs

Edited to fix link to picture
    Last edited by stevez on May 15th, 2005, 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - October 20th, 2004, 4:14 pm
    Post #2 - October 20th, 2004, 4:14 pm Post #2 - October 20th, 2004, 4:14 pm
    Z,

Rarely has the word "unctious" been used in such a complimentary fashion! And with such a fantastic photo.

I've never had the short ribs at Manny's (I opt for corned beef and, once, regrettably, smelt). Next time, I'm going for the ribs.

Welcome back.

Hammond
  • Post #3 - October 21st, 2004, 9:16 am
    Post #3 - October 21st, 2004, 9:16 am Post #3 - October 21st, 2004, 9:16 am
    How funny that last night I we went to Leo's Lunchroom for dinner. Now normally I go there at least once a weekend for breakfast, but it is not in my usual dinner rotation.
    Of course I had narrowed it down to 3 of the specials and the waitress recommended the short ribs. What a fantastic version it was, though I do not normally order short ribs (nor do I see them much on a menu in general). These were a large portion, fork tender and delicious, served over a pumpkin risotto, with sauteed parsnips and pearl onions, and a sort of parmesan crisp. My description does not do the meal justice, I am sure but I'd definitely add it to your list of places to try (for breakfast or dinner).

Leo's Lunchroom
    1809 W. Division St
    773-276-6509
  • Post #4 - October 21st, 2004, 12:16 pm
    Post #4 - October 21st, 2004, 12:16 pm Post #4 - October 21st, 2004, 12:16 pm
    I was just at Manny's for lunch on Tuesday with a group of about 10, and was the only person to have the short ribs. The Tuesday ribs do not have a real sauce, more of an au jus. But they are still mighty tasty!
  • Post #5 - October 4th, 2005, 9:59 am
    Post #5 - October 4th, 2005, 9:59 am Post #5 - October 4th, 2005, 9:59 am
    LTH,

Had lunch at Manny's yesterday with Kman, Pigmon and Steve Z. Steve presented Manny's owner Ken Raskin with Manny's LTHForum.com GNR award.

Ken Raskin, owner of Manny's, w/Steve Z.

We had a very nice lunch, even had the pleasure of running into the somewhat elusive Wade Roberts, and, as a bonus, Steve found out the answer to a question that has kept him up nights for decades. Whether Manny's Thursday short ribs, which Steve prefers, are prepared differently than other days. Answer, yes. Thursdays short ribs benefit from the addition of prunes, carrot and a little brown sugar.

Manny's Pastrami on Onion Roll.

Additional LTHForum GNR presentation pictures

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - October 4th, 2005, 10:06 am
    Post #6 - October 4th, 2005, 10:06 am Post #6 - October 4th, 2005, 10:06 am
    David Hammond wrote:Rarely has the word "unctious" been used in such a complimentary fashion!

You've never read Rick Bayless, have you? It's all over his books.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - October 4th, 2005, 12:47 pm
    Post #7 - October 4th, 2005, 12:47 pm Post #7 - October 4th, 2005, 12:47 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:How funny that last night I we went to Leo's Lunchroom for dinner. Now normally I go there at least once a weekend for breakfast, but it is not in my usual dinner rotation.
    Of course I had narrowed it down to 3 of the specials and the waitress recommended the short ribs. What a fantastic version it was, though I do not normally order short ribs (nor do I see them much on a menu in general). These were a large portion, fork tender and delicious, served over a pumpkin risotto, with sauteed parsnips and pearl onions, and a sort of parmesan crisp. My description does not do the meal justice, I am sure but I'd definitely add it to your list of places to try (for breakfast or dinner).

Leo's Lunchroom
    1809 W. Division St
    773-276-6509

They're permenantly closed, unfortunately. (Not sure when exactly, but they've been closed for probably ~2 months at the minimum.)
    -Pete
  • Post #8 - October 4th, 2005, 1:13 pm
    Post #8 - October 4th, 2005, 1:13 pm Post #8 - October 4th, 2005, 1:13 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:Rarely has the word "unctious" been used in such a complimentary fashion!

You've never read Rick Bayless, have you? It's all over his books.

In a nod to the word fascists, I must point out that the word "unctuous" is misspelled in the original post.

Don't hate me.

I'm weak. And worthless. And self-loathing. And not above starting a sentence with a conjunction.
  • Post #9 - October 4th, 2005, 5:33 pm
    Post #9 - October 4th, 2005, 5:33 pm Post #9 - October 4th, 2005, 5:33 pm
    Will you guys PLEASE stop posting pictures of Manny's Pastrami sandwiches??? The last time someone posted one, I was jonesing for one for a month. Now, another one. ARGHHHH!
  • Post #10 - October 4th, 2005, 6:33 pm
    Post #10 - October 4th, 2005, 6:33 pm Post #10 - October 4th, 2005, 6:33 pm
    titus wong wrote:In a nod to the word fascists, I must point out that the word "unctuous" is misspelled in the original post.

Don't hate me.

I'm weak. And worthless. And self-loathing. And not above starting a sentence with a conjunction.

That's how we spell it here in the-Chi :twisted:
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - March 13th, 2006, 11:11 pm
    Post #11 - March 13th, 2006, 11:11 pm Post #11 - March 13th, 2006, 11:11 pm
    LTH,

Had lunch today at Manny's with Mike G and his incredibly nice mom, who's in for a visit. Guess in some cases the apple does fall far from the tree. :)

As we were leaving Ken Raskin, the owner, asked how everything was, I said great, but...... His inquiry was polite, almost cursory until the word but came out of my mouth, he immediately focused in and inquired, in a polite, this is a family business and I'm concerned with every little detail way, as to the problem.

Seeing his concern, I immediately reasured the food was terrific, but was wondering where Manny's LTHForum GNR award was. For one second he looked puzzled, then I mentioned Steve Z's name, and Ken perked up, said he had gotten the GNR framed, it was sitting on his desk and let's put it up right this very second.

Ken got the award, Mike G limbered up his camera, but as the GNR was moving toward the wall it slipped from Ken's hand, fell and the glass broke. It was actually kind of funny. :) Ken said he'd get new glass for the frame tomorrow.

'Sad faced' Ken of Manny's with broken glass GNR. Picture by Mike G

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - March 13th, 2006, 11:21 pm
    Post #12 - March 13th, 2006, 11:21 pm Post #12 - March 13th, 2006, 11:21 pm
    Gary,

Not only framed BUT double matted! What a nice way to treat our award.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #13 - March 14th, 2006, 7:25 am
    Post #13 - March 14th, 2006, 7:25 am Post #13 - March 14th, 2006, 7:25 am
    Since someone above asked that no one post pictures of the pastrami sandwich ever again:

Now turn 180 degrees:

Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #14 - March 14th, 2006, 9:22 am
    Post #14 - March 14th, 2006, 9:22 am Post #14 - March 14th, 2006, 9:22 am
    I work within a stone's throw from Manny's, thus I am there at least a couple times a week, either for breakfast, lunch, or both. I've had virtually everything on the menu (except gefilte fish--can't do it!) and for me, the real standouts are:

* Roast beef sandwich on a Kaiser, dipped--with a mayo/horseradish mix

* Corned beef julienne salad, easy Catalina dressing--no cheese

* Short Ribs (simmered in prunes & carrots), roasted potatoes

* Baked whitefish, with zucchini & tomatoes

* Oxtail stew--only on Thursdays--after this, don't need to eat til Friday

The corned beef hash, lox plate & the sardine salad get honorable mention.
  • Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 9:15 am
    Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 9:15 am Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 9:15 am
    So somehow yesterday while talking with Mom of Mike G, the subject of the corned beef sandwich we'd had at Manny's came up. And later Mom of Mike G emailed me this:

Mom of Mike G wrote:Funny thing is - in no deli (even Manny's on the lower east side of NY) has the sandwich of my memory been recreated. The little Jewish deli across from the VA hospital on Kellogg in the late '50's served it thus: Dark rye or pumpernickel, only about 3/4 to 1 inch of corned beef (an amount you can actually get your mouth around), baby swiss cheese, creamy cole slaw, and what they called Russian Dressing, which was like thousand island actually. I have given up on corned beef sandwiches. they are always monstrosities of enough meat for a family, and don't have the wonderful contrast of the aforementioned goodies. This particular Manny baked his own breads, and cured his own meat. It was such a treat. Just a hole in the wall place, where you got things to go.
    Your mother

Actually, that's not too far off some of the sandwiches I used to enjoy at the late Moe's Deli in the Mag Mile, but anybody care to comment on the availability, makeup, provenance, etc. of the Ur-Corned Beef Sandwich of Mom of Mike G's memories? Is there anywhere in Chicago that serves an authentically 1950s Wichita version of a corned beef sandwich? Is cole slaw (rather than sauerkraut) ever found on corned beef here, or is that some kind of weird Southern mutation which has made its way to Kansas, turning a reuben into a cousin of a pulled pork sandwich from the Carolinas?
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:37 am
    Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:37 am Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:37 am
    Mom of Mike G wrote:Funny thing is - in no deli (even Manny's on the lower east side of NY) has the sandwich of my memory been recreated. The little Jewish deli across from the VA hospital on Kellogg in the late '50's served it thus: Dark rye or pumpernickel, only about 3/4 to 1 inch of corned beef (an amount you can actually get your mouth around), baby swiss cheese, creamy cole slaw, and what they called Russian Dressing, which was like thousand island actually. I have given up on corned beef sandwiches. they are always monstrosities of enough meat for a family, and don't have the wonderful contrast of the aforementioned goodies. This particular Manny baked his own breads, and cured his own meat. It was such a treat. Just a hole in the wall place, where you got things to go.
    Your mother

Corned beef, swiss, cole slaw and russian dressing on dark rye was a sandwich that I used to order at a restaurant/deli that was in Water Tower Place in the late 70's/early 80's, when Michigan Avenue was just Michigan Avenue. I can't remember the name of the restaurant/deli, but they offered a huge number of great combinations, tasty blended drinks and a student discount. I was at Loyola then and the discount came in handy. Does anybody remember the name of that place? All of the sandwiches had cutesy names, but the food was great.
  • Post #17 - May 15th, 2006, 11:14 am
    Post #17 - May 15th, 2006, 11:14 am Post #17 - May 15th, 2006, 11:14 am
    Does anybody remember the name of that place?

DB Kaplan's
  • Post #18 - May 15th, 2006, 11:19 am
    Post #18 - May 15th, 2006, 11:19 am Post #18 - May 15th, 2006, 11:19 am
    I think that was the very first Levy Bros. restaurant, if memory serves.
  • Post #19 - May 15th, 2006, 11:27 am
    Post #19 - May 15th, 2006, 11:27 am Post #19 - May 15th, 2006, 11:27 am
    Mike G wrote:Is there anywhere in Chicago that serves an authentically 1950s Wichita version of a corned beef sandwich? Is cole slaw (rather than sauerkraut) ever found on corned beef here, or is that some kind of weird Southern mutation which has made its way to Kansas, turning a reuben into a cousin of a pulled pork sandwich from the Carolinas?

Not in Chicago, but hopefully next month you'll be joining us at Shapiro's in Indianapolis, where they offer a modified reuben with coleslaw instead of kraut. They call it "New York Style"; maybe they should change that to "Wichita Style," which I think carries a lot more cache and more of the illusion of "street cred." ("What's Wichita Style, man?" "Aww, if ya have to ask ...")
    JiLS
  • Post #20 - May 15th, 2006, 11:31 am
    Post #20 - May 15th, 2006, 11:31 am Post #20 - May 15th, 2006, 11:31 am
    I think its called a "Rachel Sandwich".
  • Post #21 - May 15th, 2006, 11:52 am
    Post #21 - May 15th, 2006, 11:52 am Post #21 - May 15th, 2006, 11:52 am
    Corned beef, swiss, cole slaw and russian dressing on dark rye was a sandwich that I used to order at a restaurant/deli that was in Water Tower Place in the late 70's/early 80's, when Michigan Avenue was just Michigan Avenue.

Substitute roast beef for corned beef and make the swiss optional and you have what in my experience on the East Coast (Philly & NY) has always been termed a "Roast Beef Special." I haven't seen it here in Chicago, although I've often had one constructed. A good mustard on the rye is helpful, too.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #22 - May 15th, 2006, 11:58 am
    Post #22 - May 15th, 2006, 11:58 am Post #22 - May 15th, 2006, 11:58 am
    Thanks for the memories...DB Kaplan's it was. Great sandwiches and really good potato salad.
  • Post #23 - May 15th, 2006, 12:04 pm
    Post #23 - May 15th, 2006, 12:04 pm Post #23 - May 15th, 2006, 12:04 pm
    bnowell724 wrote:I think its called a "Rachel Sandwich".

That matches my memory, too.

You can probably ask Gino or one of the other Manny's countermen for a rachel, or a reuben with cole slaw, and they'd oblige.

I think it's on the menu at Zingerman's, also, if Mike's mom ever makes it to Ann Arbor. I bet they do a knockout rendition.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #24 - May 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm
    Post #24 - May 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm Post #24 - May 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm
    Mike G wrote:Is cole slaw (rather than sauerkraut) ever found on corned beef here, or is that some kind of weird Southern mutation which has made its way to Kansas, turning a reuben into a cousin of a pulled pork sandwich from the Carolinas?

The Perry’s Favorite (#24) at Perry’s Deli has corned beef, jack cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing.

jbw wrote:Substitute roast beef for corned beef and make the swiss optional and you have what in my experience on the East Coast (Philly & NY) has always been termed a "Roast Beef Special." I haven't seen it here in Chicago, although I've often had one constructed.

That’s similar to the Ormond Street Special (#4) at Perry’s. It’s filled with roast beef and corned beef, plus Muenster cheese, tomato, cole slaw and Russian dressing.

That reminds me, I haven’t been to Perry’s Deli since Perry sold it a few years ago. Has it changed much?

Perry’s Deli
    180 N Franklin St
    312-372-7557
    http://www.perrysdeli.com/
  • Post #25 - May 15th, 2006, 7:31 pm
    Post #25 - May 15th, 2006, 7:31 pm Post #25 - May 15th, 2006, 7:31 pm
    Chalfin's Deli at 200 e. Chestnut has a menu online and it says to be cautious- their "world famous" sandwiches are addictive. It says all of them start with coleslaw and pickles on them- and you get to choose your bread,cheese, and dressing. Swiss and rye are both options, but it doesn't say they have Russian.

Chalfin's Deli
    200 e. Chestnut
    Chicago, Il 60661
    http://www.chalfinsdeli.com/
  • Post #26 - May 15th, 2006, 7:56 pm
    Post #26 - May 15th, 2006, 7:56 pm Post #26 - May 15th, 2006, 7:56 pm
    Manny's is awesome!

Another choice for short ribs would also be Priscilla's on Roosvelt in Hillside.

For Mother's Day my dad wanted to surprise my mom with short ribs for dinner. A stop, and order and a 30 minute wait for carry out and we had the feast.

4 orders with 8 different sides. Just great!

Priscilla's Ultimate Soulfood
    4330 W. Roosevelt Rd.
    Hillside, IL 60162
    Phone: (708) 544-6230
    Fax: (708) 544-6755

Life is good.
  • Post #27 - May 15th, 2006, 9:13 pm
    Post #27 - May 15th, 2006, 9:13 pm Post #27 - May 15th, 2006, 9:13 pm
    bnowell724 wrote:Chalfin's Deli at 200 e. Chestnut has a menu online and it says to be cautious- their "world famous" sandwiches are addictive.

Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it so. :wink:
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #28 - May 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm
    Post #28 - May 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm Post #28 - May 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm
    Saw this great, contemporary review of Manny's by Michael Stern. I imagine with the Sterns in town this week, we'll be seeing more like this one for some Chicago favorites in the near future.
  • Post #29 - July 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm
    Post #29 - July 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm Post #29 - July 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm
    I'm bumping this thread because I just got an email from Ken Raskin in which he told me that they now have the Wednesday style short ribs every day of the week except for Friday, when they also include fresh prunes. Since I moved my office out of the West Loop, I can't get to Manny's as often as I used to and this is particularly good news to me. Now I can get my beloved short ribs any time I can squeeze in a visit to Manny's.

Manny's Wednesday Style Short Ribs
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #30 - July 28th, 2006, 5:24 pm
    Post #30 - July 28th, 2006, 5:24 pm Post #30 - July 28th, 2006, 5:24 pm
    Why is there no mention of Manny's outstanding kishke in this thread? This is a lighter than usual "blonde" kishke which is the best restaurant version I've ever had. This, (along with gefilte fish from the Bagel) is something we sometimes get for holiday dinners at home (if feeling too lazy to cook from scratch). To me, better than the latke as a side to any Manny sandwich .

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more