LTH Home

cafeteria stuff--stop and shop!

cafeteria stuff--stop and shop!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 10th, 2005, 12:45 pm
    Post #31 - February 10th, 2005, 12:45 pm Post #31 - February 10th, 2005, 12:45 pm
    JeffB wrote:But in terms of overall quality, sheer numbers and community love for cafeterias, Indiana might be on top. The most cafeterias and basketball hoops per capita, probably.

I think that's pretty much the thesis of the "Tray Chic" book. The cafeterias used to be ubiquitous in Indiana. They are still very plentiful, more so than most places; and I gather from what I read, more popular. Another thesis from the book is that while there are a huge number of great cafeterias throughout the country, there are on balance so many more lousy cafeterias in the world that most people have only negative associations with the word "cafeteria" (think high school, hospital, bus station, etc.) In fact, I learn from the book that Shapiro's changed from "cafeteria/delicatessen" to just "delicatessen" when they opened up in Carmel (a well-to-do northern suburb of Indianapolis). Of course, both locations are cafeterias.
  • Post #32 - February 10th, 2005, 12:51 pm
    Post #32 - February 10th, 2005, 12:51 pm Post #32 - February 10th, 2005, 12:51 pm
    jbw wrote:I can't speak to the cafeterias of Indiana, but I went into deep mourning when the seventy-year old Highland Park Cafeteria in Dallas closed in 1996. They used to line up a half-hour before opening (as if it were a Willie Nelson concert), and by the time I got done with the vegetable casseroles and fruit salads and slaws I never had much room for the carved meats at the end of the line. It almost made me believe being a vegetarian could be a reasonable alternative.

Yes, it's an unfortunate side-effect of the long, food packed line that you can't try everything! There's a method to the order the foods are presented in, though. The hot stuff comes last for the practical reason that if it came first, it would get cold while you went through the rest of the line. The desserts are at the head of the line to psych you out; many people would "Just Say No" to lemon meringue pie if they already have two salads, three vegetables, a couple of rolls and a plate of fried chicken on their tray. But for some reason, if you have a piece of pie on the tray, it won't stop you from loading up on all the other items (although in your case, jbw, the ploy didn't work :) ).
  • Post #33 - February 10th, 2005, 1:16 pm
    Post #33 - February 10th, 2005, 1:16 pm Post #33 - February 10th, 2005, 1:16 pm
    When I was little, to the exasperation of my parents, all I'd choose at Luby's Cafeteria was dinner rolls and jello. Eventually, cafeterias started me on the chow trail as per all the choices. Some great sense memories:
    the musical clinking, clattering of dishware, jiggling jewel-like cubes of jello in parfait glasses...
  • Post #34 - November 7th, 2005, 1:43 pm
    Post #34 - November 7th, 2005, 1:43 pm Post #34 - November 7th, 2005, 1:43 pm
    My staff has been urging me to try Delmonico's for the last year. Since the Indian Express hasn't opened yet, I finally succumbed. I really think all you cafeteria fans need to give it a try. It's a huge selection (I counted 18 hot meat entrees, for example) but nothing looks like it came off a Sysco truck. The comfortable old-fashioned room is filled with comfortable old-fashioned barristers and grizzled city hall hobnoblins.

I had a salad with grilled whitefish, a dab of the shrimp and calamari salad, a grilled tofu mini-sandwich with roasted red peppers, some goma-ae, and a piece of California roll. (Despite my new-age-y selections, there were plenty of old-fashioned favorites for all those old-fashioned barristers including meat loaf, roast pork, fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc). Everything was good. The whitefish had been dipped in a egg batter before it was grilled, which helped it keep its integrity on the steam table. The goma-ae was tangy, the calamari was tender, the mixed greens were fresh and varied. I eyed the soups. Today's chicken gumbo and chicken noodle both looked well above average. I also noticed a lot of people lined up for the grill, where the reuben appeared to be the peoples' choice.

$4.99 per pound: my lunch came to $5.56 with tax.

DelMonico's Gourmet Foods
    111 W. Washington (no store front--enter through the office building lobby)
    312-345-0707
    M-F, 6:30 a.m. -4 p.m.

James Ward's review is here.
  • Post #35 - December 21st, 2005, 10:24 pm
    Post #35 - December 21st, 2005, 10:24 pm Post #35 - December 21st, 2005, 10:24 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:I had no idea cafeterias were so distinctly Indianian. Gives me yet one more reason, besides Binion's Horseshoe (which does have a cafeteria-like restaurant on the boat), to visit.

Hammond

The cafeteria was the cutting edge at the turn of the last century (circa 1900), and one of the great leaders in that field in Indiana, Laughner's, was right there. I think Laughners may have met its end, but stalwarts like MCL continue. Of course the problem with making any kind of blanket representaion or recommendation is that on the day you visit, they have the 16 year old drop out crew making all the food, rather than the A Team. To ensure you get the A Team, go around 11:30 to 12:30 on a Sunday, when the church crowds are present. That will assure you the cafeteria is showing its best face.

I just found out about Laughners Cafeteria closings last year since I no longer live in Indiana and heard about owner Richard Laughner being in prison - now on parole-, sad way to end a century of the family owned business.
  • Post #36 - November 21st, 2023, 6:04 am
    Post #36 - November 21st, 2023, 6:04 am Post #36 - November 21st, 2023, 6:04 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:When I was little, to the exasperation of my parents, all I'd choose at Luby's Cafeteria was dinner rolls and jello. Eventually, cafeterias started me on the chow trail as per all the choices. Some great sense memories:
    the musical clinking, clattering of dishware, jiggling jewel-like cubes of jello in parfait glasses...

On the Luby’s Cafeteria Line, Every Day Is Thanksgiving.
    The Texas chain, which serves turkey dinners year-round, has come to define the holiday for its loyal customers — and not just with its food.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/dini ... =url-share
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more