LTH Home

The Works, Gyros in Glenview

The Works, Gyros in Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Works, Gyros in Glenview

Post #1 - September 28th, 2007, 6:18 pm
    Post #1 - September 28th, 2007, 6:18 pm Post #1 - September 28th, 2007, 6:18 pm
    LTH,

The Works has been on my must-try for a while, positive mentions on LTHForum by FastFoodSnob and Pigmon among others, plus they've been slinging gyros since 1976 so they must be doing something right.

The Works

The Works was larger than I expected with a flaming grill, rib eye looked damn good, and a full Greek fast food menu, gyro, burgers, hot dogs, Athenian chicken etc.

I liked the gyros in particular the components, pita was crisp, tzatziki had the perfect specific density and the sharp onions provided counterpoint to the rich gyro meat. I liked the meat itself, rich moist good flavor, but not quite in the league of Central Gyros or the Parthenon.

Gyro Plate

Gyro Sandwich

The efficient staff exhibits a definite gruff vibe, though there's a bit of kibitzing with the regulars and the place was packed at lunch.

Homer's Ice Cream, large portions, fair prices, crisp pita and comfortable tables will surely see me back before long.

Enjoy,
    Gary

The Works
    2676 Golf Road
    Glenview, IL
    847-724-0616
    In the Talisman Shopping Center
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - September 28th, 2007, 6:59 pm
    Post #2 - September 28th, 2007, 6:59 pm Post #2 - September 28th, 2007, 6:59 pm
    Used to eat at the Works all the time back in the 80's when I worked next door at McGreevy's. It's been more than 20 years but I remember loving their burgers.
  • Post #3 - September 28th, 2007, 10:27 pm
    Post #3 - September 28th, 2007, 10:27 pm Post #3 - September 28th, 2007, 10:27 pm
    i recommend trying the shishkabob sandwich... its pretty much a gyro with shishkabob instead of gyro... their cheese fries are always a guilty pleasure and they have great cherry coke
  • Post #4 - September 28th, 2007, 10:33 pm
    Post #4 - September 28th, 2007, 10:33 pm Post #4 - September 28th, 2007, 10:33 pm
    Aww, you made me smile. I grew up less than a mile from the Works and my brother and his friends still make the trek back there for nostalgia and food.

What always amazed me was just how much better their gyros were than most other places; it seemed like they probably all cooked the same way, from one of a few suppliers, yet there it was. Oh man, I think we'll be taking a mini roadtrip on Sunday! Thanks for the memories.
  • Post #5 - September 29th, 2007, 12:38 am
    Post #5 - September 29th, 2007, 12:38 am Post #5 - September 29th, 2007, 12:38 am
    A good way to go at the Works is to order a standard Greek salad and have it topped with gyros meat for the everyday low price of $1.

Don't forget to get extra pita.
  • Post #6 - September 29th, 2007, 8:20 am
    Post #6 - September 29th, 2007, 8:20 am Post #6 - September 29th, 2007, 8:20 am
    I have lived less than a three minute walk from The Works for the past twenty-two years. In all that time I was perhaps in Hot Dog Island (which sat in the parking lot of Talisman Village Shopping Center, in front of The Works) half a dozen times. The Works has been the "go-to" place for our family as long as we've been in the neighborhood. Good gyros and a really good tuna pita. I would agree that at first blush the guys behind the counter may seem a bit gruff, but it's all (usually) in good humor, and once you've been in there a couple times you'll be in on the joke....
  • Post #7 - September 29th, 2007, 9:01 am
    Post #7 - September 29th, 2007, 9:01 am Post #7 - September 29th, 2007, 9:01 am
    LuvstoEat wrote:I would agree that at first blush the guys behind the counter may seem a bit gruff, but it's all (usually) in good humor, and once you've been in there a couple times you'll be in on the joke....

I've been going to The Works since about 1979 myself (even making the mandatory stops there while home for college breaks). Many of those "gruff" workhorses you speak of have worked there or co-owned it from the start. The 2 brothers that own The Works are a real stitch.
    For me, they elevate their intrinsically good gyros experience to godly levels by salting the whole experience with their incredible personality.

I've always thought it was more Billy Goat Tavern than the actual Billy Goat Tavern...step up, please.

I love those guys!!!
  • Post #8 - September 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm
    Post #8 - September 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm Post #8 - September 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm
    these guys were sweet talking my gf at the time lol they are great :D
  • Post #9 - September 30th, 2007, 6:13 pm
    Post #9 - September 30th, 2007, 6:13 pm Post #9 - September 30th, 2007, 6:13 pm
    In April of 1976, I opened Action School of Driving in the indoor mall of Talisman Village. Our classroom instruction was held on Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's from 5-7 and 7-9. Each class had a 15 minute break and our 30 students would rush to the Works for food. The brothers were always happy to feed our students and staff(approximately 65 customers on class days). I'm pleased to see they're still doing business in the same location.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #10 - August 16th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    Post #10 - August 16th, 2018, 6:00 pm Post #10 - August 16th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    Last post on The Works may have been 11-years ago but they are same-same-same, in other words tasty lamb/beef gyros. I've been a few times since my original post, went today due to proximity, I was across the street at the Xfinity service center, The Works deserves better than a visit once every 3-4 years.

TheWorksFB2.jpg Lamb/beef Gyro plate, The Works. I asked for hot peppers, they gave me a mountain no extra charge. (poor quality cell phone pic)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more