LTH Home

Three Floyd's Munster

Three Floyd's Munster
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - May 31st, 2013, 9:04 am
    Post #151 - May 31st, 2013, 9:04 am Post #151 - May 31st, 2013, 9:04 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I took the tour once. They gave everyone a bottle of beer in exchange for a token payment of a dollar. I bought mine, then handed it off to someone who would appreciate it far more.

I guess I should count myself fortunate.

Regards,

Yeah, they stopped doing that a while ago. I remember when they would let you keep your table while you were on the tour. That was nice.

As an aside (and, yes, this probably belongs in a different thread), the brewery tour at Revolution (their primary brewing facility off Kedzie, that is, not the brewpub off Milwaukee) is a solid tour. It's free and comes with a sample -- on Saturdays, they run three tours at 4pm, 5pm & 6pm. Groups can run large, though, and available spots can fill up hours ahead of time (I've seen the 6pm tour "sell out" by 4 or 4:30). The guides are knowledgeable and you cover a lot of ground.

ETA: Per an email I just got from Revolution, it looks like June is when all the breweries suspend tours:
    We will temporarily close our tap room at our Kedzie production facility (3340 N. Kedzie) for construction from June 3 through late June. During this time we will not be running tours, keg sales or merchandise sales.

We’re making some climate control and insulation improvements to ensure a comfortable summer at the tap room. (Check out the huge new fan!)

We will be open Saturday, June 1 from 2pm-10pm for one final toast to the tap room in its present state. Come back and see us in late June!
    best,
    dan
  • Post #152 - July 23rd, 2013, 8:40 am
    Post #152 - July 23rd, 2013, 8:40 am Post #152 - July 23rd, 2013, 8:40 am
    Does anyone know if the $40/case price is for good, or will it be going back to $35/case after they catch back up on production? $8.75 for a six pack of 3 floyds beer including tax was one of the simple joys in my life. $10 for the same six pack is less joyous (roughly $1.25 less to be exact).
  • Post #153 - September 9th, 2013, 10:37 pm
    Post #153 - September 9th, 2013, 10:37 pm Post #153 - September 9th, 2013, 10:37 pm
    I hit most of the current 3F nosh menu this weekend with fine company, and there were some really excellent bites. The jerky, brisket tacos, and pulled pork were beautifully smoked and tender, as was some smoked octopus with pesto, pickles, and grilled bread. The crunchy farm salad and pepperoni pizza, with hazelnuts, greens, truffle oil, and serious char had better balance than I'd experienced before. The duck fried rice with house-steeped cherries was a superior execution to a (tasty) $20 plate we had at Cafe Lurcat (MN) this summer, a lick-bowl kind of good.

The Tijuana dog was one of the only messier concoctions of its ilk than I've had at Big Star, but also had much better and more assertive bacon and a cooler avocado-lime dressing. Warm salted caramel popcorn had a great flavor and was just a bit too sticky for easy handling in alteration with clammy beer glasses (cooled or dusted might work better). We were very happy. Beers not too shabby, either.
  • Post #154 - March 19th, 2018, 11:30 am
    Post #154 - March 19th, 2018, 11:30 am Post #154 - March 19th, 2018, 11:30 am
    Self-bump after five years (and maybe two visits annually to 3F): the brewpub had the most notable execution of the pub menu on a run last week I've had in some time, notably a perfect flammkuchen and smoked-fried wings with watermelon pickle, and then a cast iron dish of broccoli with Mexican-Asian flavors including ginger, pepitas and cucumber. In fact, it was every bit as good as the charred broccoli delight at Stop 50 (current seasonal veg on the combo platter). 3F was a marked level above Dark Horse and Bell's Eccentric pub food on this same trip, and in fact the North Korean Cheer Team at 3F was my favorite brew across these three this time as well, a sort of juicy smooth IPA. Thrilled these GNRs are still going strong.
  • Post #155 - March 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm
    Post #155 - March 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm Post #155 - March 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm
    Dark Lord Day tickets go on sale March 31, cost $180
    If you hope to get your hands on some of the most coveted beer in the world, you'll have your chance to buy Dark Lord Day tickets at noon on March 31.

3 Floyds is bringing back its increasingly popular Dark Lord Day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. May 19 — a week later than last year and a month later than the month of April when it had traditionally been held. It's the only time all year it's possible to buy the "demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla and Indian sugar" that clocks in at 15 percent Alcohol By Volume and 50 International Bitterness Units.

But the Munster craft brewery, which is plotting a massive expansion that would place its brewpub under a man-made hill for al fresco drinking and dining, throws a bottle release party like no other. It's a craft beer festival with a full lineup of heavy metal bands that attracts 8,000 to 9,000 craft beer lovers from across the country to the unassuming industrial park in Munster where 3 Floyds is based.

Tickets to Dark Lord Day cost $180 each, which includes four bottles of Dark Lord, one bottle of a rare Dark Lord variant, admission to the day-long festival and a tote bag to haul around the prized craft beer.

People can only buy two tickets each to the 21-and-over event, and refunds and transfers are forbidden. Don't try to game the system, or the Dark Lord will be displeased.
  • Post #156 - March 25th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    Post #156 - March 25th, 2019, 3:31 pm Post #156 - March 25th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    3 Floyds canning flagship Alpha King and Gumballhead at former Whole Foods warehouse
    After 23 years, Alpha King will become available in cans for the first time now that the brewery has opened a second production facility in Munster.

3 Floyds Communications Director Sara White said 3 Floyds is now canning Alpha King and Gumballhead wheat beer at the former Whole Foods distribution center at 480 45th St. in Munster, which had sat vacant since Whole Foods moved its Chicagoland warehouse from Munster to Chicago's Pullman neighborhood last year. It's strictly a production facility, unlike the nearby brewpub, where 3 Floyds pours its hoppy beers and serves gourmet food against a backdrop of heavy metal music and bohemian art.

"No taproom or tours, just beer," White said.

The new canning brewery, about a mile north of 3 Floyds' brewpub and a half-mile from the Indiana-Illinois border, is canning Gumballhead in 12-ounce cans that will be sold in six-packs, and Alpha King in 16-ounce cans that will be sold in four-packs.

3 Floyds plans to sell both beers in cans year-round in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Wisconsin. White said the cans should hit stores soon, probably in April.
  • Post #157 - May 19th, 2020, 7:31 pm
    Post #157 - May 19th, 2020, 7:31 pm Post #157 - May 19th, 2020, 7:31 pm
    Is the Three Floyds Brewpub Closed for Good?
    Our inbox started filling early this morning with tips about what could be the end of the road for one of craft beer’s original – and most-talked-about – brewpubs.

Staff at Three Floyds Brewing said they were notified Monday night that the Three Floyds Brewpub won’t be re-opening, even after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, according to multiple people.

Ironically, those termination calls were delivered on the first day Indiana breweries were allowed to partially re-open and just two days after what would have been the annual Dark Lord Day festival.

No reason was given, they said, and blindsided staff are still in a state of shock. Curbside service to-go continues outside the brewpub doors – for now.

Our outreach to Three Floyds has gone unanswered, though this isn’t a surprise — FFF is notoriously tight lipped.
  • Post #158 - May 20th, 2020, 7:53 am
    Post #158 - May 20th, 2020, 7:53 am Post #158 - May 20th, 2020, 7:53 am
    Three Floyds closes legendary brewpub indefinitely due to coronavirus, even as Indiana moves to reopen businesses

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #159 - May 20th, 2020, 8:03 am
    Post #159 - May 20th, 2020, 8:03 am Post #159 - May 20th, 2020, 8:03 am
    Dave148 wrote:Three Floyds closes legendary brewpub indefinitely due to coronavirus, even as Indiana moves to reopen businesses

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html

The physician Dad who underwrote FFF, he may simply not consider it safe enough.

Once while visiting FFF, we walked out to the garden. The good doctor was there tending to it. Enjoyed quite a lengthy conversation while he weeded.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #160 - May 20th, 2020, 8:40 am
    Post #160 - May 20th, 2020, 8:40 am Post #160 - May 20th, 2020, 8:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Enjoyed quite a lengthy conversation while he weeded.

Is that what they're calling it these days.

/seriously, will miss the brewpub, a favorite stop to and from Harbor Country for us.
  • Post #161 - December 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm
    Post #161 - December 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm Post #161 - December 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm
    Wow--don't think anyone expected this:

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/3-floyds-permanently-closing-munster-brewpub/article_62e5cb85-9670-5387-a025-d4ee5a83040d.html

3 Floyds told pub investors it is permanently closing its landmark brewpub in Munster, which has been a major draw to Northwest Indiana for years.

Before the pandemic, the brewery recently had opened a new distillery and distillery taproom. For years, it had been planning a massive multimillion-dollar expansion of its operations that would have added 114,423 square feet in brewery space, 7,442 square feet in retail space, 7,356 square feet in restaurant space, and a terraced garden for outside dining.

The article provides no info on what's next. Pretty shocking news...
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #162 - December 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm
    Post #162 - December 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm Post #162 - December 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm
    Those of us far away can hope they might be considering instead to expanding their brewing and bottling in order to possibly grow nationally...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #163 - December 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm
    Post #163 - December 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm Post #163 - December 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm
    The articles are all mentioning the brew pub, is there any indication they are stopping brewing?

I have seen a number of brewers go down, for me, Gumball Head is like my Old Style go to beer from growing up on the South Side
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #164 - December 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm
    Post #164 - December 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm Post #164 - December 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm
    Willkat98 wrote:The articles are all mentioning the brew pub, is there any indication they are stopping brewing?

I have seen a number of brewers go down, for me, Gumball Head is like my Old Style go to beer from growing up on the South Side

3 Floyds will still brew and distribute their craft beer throughout the country at stores where it is currently sold. The beer — including its famous Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout — in addition to food items will also be available for curbside pick up at its location at 9750 Indiana Parkway in Munster.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2020/12/16/3 ... n-munster/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #165 - September 20th, 2023, 11:46 am
    Post #165 - September 20th, 2023, 11:46 am Post #165 - September 20th, 2023, 11:46 am
    Crain's reports Three Floyds Brewing plans to reopen its brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing plans to reopen its brewpub and taproom in Munster, Ind., after closing it amid COVID pandemic disruptions in late 2020.

Construction is underway at the facility, according to a person familiar with the plans. The plan is to open by May, when Three Floyds hosts its marquee festival, Dark Lord Day.
    Fifty/50 Restaurant Group will manage the food, beverage and retail operations, according to the person familiar with the plans. The group owns Kindling, West Town Bakery and other Chicago restaurants.
  • Post #166 - September 20th, 2023, 1:02 pm
    Post #166 - September 20th, 2023, 1:02 pm Post #166 - September 20th, 2023, 1:02 pm
    ekreider wrote:Crain's reports Three Floyds Brewing plans to reopen its brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing plans to reopen its brewpub and taproom in Munster, Ind., after closing it amid COVID pandemic disruptions in late 2020.

Construction is underway at the facility, according to a person familiar with the plans. The plan is to open by May, when Three Floyds hosts its marquee festival, Dark Lord Day.
    Fifty/50 Restaurant Group will manage the food, beverage and retail operations, according to the person familiar with the plans. The group owns Kindling, West Town Bakery and other Chicago restaurants.

Woooohooo!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #167 - September 20th, 2023, 2:48 pm
    Post #167 - September 20th, 2023, 2:48 pm Post #167 - September 20th, 2023, 2:48 pm
    Hi,

I have always appreciated how their food was good enough to keep me happy. Especially when I am not particularly interested in the beer.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more