LTH Home

Carson's Ribs (Wells and Ontario)

Carson's Ribs (Wells and Ontario)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Carson's Ribs (Wells and Ontario)

Post #1 - June 1st, 2007, 11:03 am
    Post #1 - June 1st, 2007, 11:03 am Post #1 - June 1st, 2007, 11:03 am
    My wife and I had a meal at the Carson's Ribs on Wells at Ontario last weekend.

Previously, it had been one of our favorite rib places. The ribs were soft and tender, the sauce was nicely spiced, and even the sides were pretty good for a rib place.

It seems that the place must be under new ownership. Portion sizes seem down, but that is not really an issue since quality is way down. What once were beautiful ribs are now dry as bone.

It was not a good experience and it is likely that we will not return.
  • Post #2 - June 1st, 2007, 12:08 pm
    Post #2 - June 1st, 2007, 12:08 pm Post #2 - June 1st, 2007, 12:08 pm
    Two Words....Honey 1
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - June 1st, 2007, 12:26 pm
    Post #3 - June 1st, 2007, 12:26 pm Post #3 - June 1st, 2007, 12:26 pm
    I have gotten ribs to go from there a number of times over the last few months. Each time the ribs have been very good. Never once have they been dried out. Maybe you got a bad batch?
  • Post #4 - June 1st, 2007, 6:47 pm
    Post #4 - June 1st, 2007, 6:47 pm Post #4 - June 1st, 2007, 6:47 pm
    In my experience many of the best rib places occasionally turn out an average to below average slab. That said, there really is no good excuse for it...the quality should always be there. Maybe with the price of babybacks going up in the past few years places are more hesitant to toss a slab that they know has dried out too much, so instead they slather extra sauce on there and hope the customer won't complain. As far as I know Chris Carson is still running the show...didn't he just put 1mm into both locations? I know that Deerfield looks great inside, and now has a dynamite outdoor patio with a gorgeous fireplace in the center.
  • Post #5 - June 1st, 2007, 8:02 pm
    Post #5 - June 1st, 2007, 8:02 pm Post #5 - June 1st, 2007, 8:02 pm
    TonySpilotro wrote:In my experience many of the best rib places occasionally turn out an average to below average slab. That said, there really is no good excuse for it...the quality should always be there. Maybe with the price of babybacks going up in the past few years places are more hesitant to toss a slab that they know has dried out too much, so instead they slather extra sauce on there and hope the customer won't complain. As far as I know Chris Carson is still running the show...didn't he just put 1mm into both locations? I know that Deerfield looks great inside, and now has a dynamite outdoor patio with a gorgeous fireplace in the center.

Many years ago we had somewhat dry and non-meaty ribs from the Carson's on Niles Center road which I just chalked up to a bad batch or a bad night. I've had a few disappointing rib cooks myself. I still like Carson's. One thing that I miss is the lettuce-only salad, with the anchovy dressing.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #6 - June 1st, 2007, 9:57 pm
    Post #6 - June 1st, 2007, 9:57 pm Post #6 - June 1st, 2007, 9:57 pm
    Yeah, there's got to be a grease pit somewhere beneath those condos they built on the site of the Skokie Carson's. In '86-87 I lived across the street, and the smell of 'cue on a hot summer day changed dinner plans on a semi-regular basis.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:35 am
    Post #7 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:35 am Post #7 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:35 am
    JoelF wrote:Yeah, there's got to be a grease pit somewhere beneath those condos they built on the site of the Skokie Carson's. In '86-87 I lived across the street, and the smell of 'cue on a hot summer day changed dinner plans on a semi-regular basis.

Isn't that the truth! For me, wife & I lived in a garden apartment a half-block away from the Carson's on Niles Center Rd. between 1980 & 1982. The usual refrain, when the wind was blowing right, was 'do we really want to cook tonight?'

At least for the 1980's, Carson's was my go-to place for ribs, with Eddie's down in Logan Square on a par, but much farther away. I'd order a carry-out, walk over, sit at the bar & rap with the bartender with a beer and some of that gratis chopped liver & onions on rye. Yum!

In those days, that specific Carson's was simply a no-nonsense steak, chicken & rib joint that produced some very fine meals, large portions at a good value. I don't think a full slab was more than $12.95 back then.

Oh, BTW, if that grease pit is still there, part of the contribution was from The Prime Rib, which occupied that location for many years before Carson's.
  • Post #8 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:37 am
    Post #8 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:37 am Post #8 - June 2nd, 2007, 5:37 am
    There's a sign saying some kind of Carson's/Blackie's hybrid (do they share the same owners?) is going in next door to Gepperth's on the 1900 block of N. Halsted.
  • Post #9 - June 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am
    Post #9 - June 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am Post #9 - June 2nd, 2007, 7:51 am
    riddlemay wrote:There's a sign saying some kind of Carson's/Blackie's hybrid (do they share the same owners?) is going in next door to Gepperth's on the 1900 block of N. Halsted.

I'm fairly sure that the owner of Blackie's is the son in law of Carson's owner. FWIW, they've been serving Carson's slaw (and touting it as such) at Blackie's for quite some time.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - June 4th, 2007, 3:24 pm
    Post #10 - June 4th, 2007, 3:24 pm Post #10 - June 4th, 2007, 3:24 pm
    stevez wrote:Two Words....Honey 1

Very different style of ribs. I don't subscribe to the view -- common among most here, it seems -- that if you want ribs, go to this one particular place; if you want Chinese, go to this particular place; if you want XYZ, I can tell you who has the best in town.

I like variety. Sometimes I like Carson's style of ribs (no rubs, light smoke, their sauce. I like them because they evoke great childhood memories). Sometimes I like the style at Fat Willy's. Sometimes I like Robinson's because I'm in the neighborhood, ribs sound good, so I go! I don't really care if they aren't authentic southern style and that true believers on LTH would laugh their pants off at some who would dare eat rib flavored jello.

:D

To the OP, I've also experienced inconsistency with ribs at nearly every place I've frequented. If you like Carsons, give them another try. If that's also dry, let them know so they can try to avoid problems in the future.
  • Post #11 - June 4th, 2007, 5:36 pm
    Post #11 - June 4th, 2007, 5:36 pm Post #11 - June 4th, 2007, 5:36 pm
    Darren72 wrote:To the OP, I've also experienced inconsistency with ribs at nearly every place I've frequented. If you like Carsons, give them another try. If that's also dry, let them know so they can try to avoid problems in the future.

Quite true. And one need not be a fan of Carson's to know that if presented with a problem such as this, they will go out of their way to make it right.

=R=

not a big fan, inc. :wink:
  • Post #12 - June 4th, 2007, 8:07 pm
    Post #12 - June 4th, 2007, 8:07 pm Post #12 - June 4th, 2007, 8:07 pm
    Darren,

I don't think your criticism is fair. Very, very often, posters drop in to ask about the "best" of something, which --even when an ultimate opinion is sought -- usually results in multiple, reasoned, different responses. No doubt, some restaurants are LTH favorites, indeed, great neighborhood restaurants. But even among cuisines where there are relatively few really strong choices (BBQ could be an example), choices abound here. To stick with your example, BBQ places that get much, if not unanimous, love include, in no order, Smoque, Uncle John's, Lem's, Honey1, Barbara Ann's, and Fat Willy's. That's a good number, and would be a decent selection of choices if we were talking about steak, Italian, or Chinese. So I guess I don't get the point.

Beyond that, I think the document here establishes that old-fashioned, North-Side ribs in the style of Carson's, Biasetti's (RIP), Gale St., Fireside, and any number of steakhouses (Gibson's, Myron & Phil) and pizzarie, have their fans. Also, Carson's has some distinguished champions, though it might have more to do with the chopped liver, pork chops and gratin potatoes. I was sorry to see the one on Ridge go.
  • Post #13 - February 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm
    Post #13 - February 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm Post #13 - February 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm
    Hi,

The complimentary cheese spread, what is it? It's been so long since I had any, I don't quite recall what it tastes like. I want to suggest it is a pimento cheese, but I have a feel it's not.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #14 - February 4th, 2012, 2:09 am
    Post #14 - February 4th, 2012, 2:09 am Post #14 - February 4th, 2012, 2:09 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

The complimentary cheese spread, what is it? It's been so long since I had any, I don't quite recall what it tastes like. I want to suggest it is a pimento cheese, but I have a feel it's not.

Regards,

It's been quite a while since I've been to a Carsons, but I seem to remember the cheese being more Merkts-like. The chopped liver was more my speed, though.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #15 - February 4th, 2012, 8:30 am
    Post #15 - February 4th, 2012, 8:30 am Post #15 - February 4th, 2012, 8:30 am
    While I have had the occasional off-putting dinner at the Wells/Ontario Carson's, I am a huge fan of their Deerfield store. Yes, it can be a bit geriatric there at times, but it's obvious their purveyors are on top of their game--top notch ingredients from meat to fish to produce--and that's saying something. Their blackened salmon is maybe my favorite prep in Chicagoland. I have not tried their bone-in pork chop since they went away from the boneless--which was previously one of my go-to entrees--but a buddy says it's just as good as before. And the chopped liver allows me to take some of my entree home for the next day. Geez, looking back, THAT sounds geriatric in itself! :lol:
  • Post #16 - February 4th, 2012, 9:48 am
    Post #16 - February 4th, 2012, 9:48 am Post #16 - February 4th, 2012, 9:48 am
    jnm123 wrote:And the chopped liver allows me to take some of my entree home for the next day. Geez, looking back, THAT sounds geriatric in itself! :lol:

Own it.
  • Post #17 - February 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    Post #17 - February 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm Post #17 - February 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    We ate at the Wells and Ontario Carson's last week. I had the BBQ chicken and it was among the best chicken I have ever had in a restaurant. Moist, saucy, cooked to perfection, beautiful on the plate.
    The service was impeccable. The drinks wonderful. The atmosphere cozy. Salad amazing. Potatoes delightful.

Carson's was a mainstay for our family years and years ago when it was in Skokie.

Yes, it is old school, but I was so pleased the dining there was still first-rate.

BTW, we had a Travel Zoo coupon which brought us there, but we will definitely go back.
    That is what the coupons are designed for, correct?
  • Post #18 - February 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm
    Post #18 - February 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm Post #18 - February 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm
    I never actually patronozed Carson's. For ribs we used to do a Let Us Entertain you restaurant called Bones back in the day. This was close to twenty years ago. My husband had them a few times and he said he was never impressed. But tv ads for Carson's used to be mighty abundant and I lived not too far from the Peterson and Ridge location for a long time. Then they just disappeared. Now I see they are down to one location. What happened to the rest?
  • Post #19 - February 11th, 2012, 3:59 pm
    Post #19 - February 11th, 2012, 3:59 pm Post #19 - February 11th, 2012, 3:59 pm
    KajmacJohnson wrote:I never actually patronozed Carson's. For ribs we used to do a Let Us Entertain you restaurant called Bones back in the day. This was close to twenty years ago. My husband had them a few times and he said he was never impressed. But tv ads for Carson's used to be mighty abundant and I lived not too far from the Peterson and Ridge location for a long time. Then they just disappeared. Now I see they are down to one location. What happened to the rest?

Bones is now L. Woods Tap & Pine Lodge. Ribs are still on the menu. I don't know if they're exactly the same as what Bones used to serve but they are close and it's still an LEYE entity.

As for Carson's, there are 2 locations: River North and Deerfield.

=R=
  • Post #20 - February 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm
    Post #20 - February 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm Post #20 - February 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    KajmacJohnson wrote:I never actually patronozed Carson's. For ribs we used to do a Let Us Entertain you restaurant called Bones back in the day. This was close to twenty years ago. My husband had them a few times and he said he was never impressed. But tv ads for Carson's used to be mighty abundant and I lived not too far from the Peterson and Ridge location for a long time. Then they just disappeared. Now I see they are down to one location. What happened to the rest?

Bones is now L. Woods Tap & Pine Lodge. Ribs are still on the menu. I don't know if they're exactly the same as what Bones used to serve but they are close and it's still an LEYE entity.

I knew there was a different name there now but I did not know it was still an LEYE owned place. Haven't gotten one of their gift certificates in at least ten years so I never even think about patronizing any of the restaurants. If my memory doesn't fail me, the ribs at Bones were good so maybe one of these days I will head up that way and take a look.

As for Carson's, there are 2 locations: River North and Deerfield.

=R=

Ah, didn't see the Deerfield location listed. Thanks.
  • Post #21 - March 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm
    Post #21 - March 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm Post #21 - March 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm
    Carson’s, The Place For Ribs, the family-owned restaurant chain founded 40 years ago in suburban Skokie, is looking to make a big splash in Streeterville. Owner Dean Carson, whose father founded Carson’s in 1977, confirmed that for they’ve taken over the Quay space at the River East Arts Center, 465 E. Illinois St.

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/3/20/1498 ... urant-quay
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #22 - February 14th, 2018, 8:01 am
    Post #22 - February 14th, 2018, 8:01 am Post #22 - February 14th, 2018, 8:01 am
    After 40 years at the corner of Wells and Ontario streets, Carson’s Ribs (612 N. Wells St.) is about to find a new home. Carson’s Ribs will relocate to the east end of the River East Arts Center (official address 465 E. Illinois St.), aiming to open March 1.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/re ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #23 - April 1st, 2018, 5:03 pm
    Post #23 - April 1st, 2018, 5:03 pm Post #23 - April 1st, 2018, 5:03 pm
    Carson's is open and on point. I went today with my little ones.

Everything was great. we started with the French onion soup and shrimp DeJong. I got the sampler - a huge pork chop, 1/2 slab of ribs, and 1/2 a chicken.

Gotta give a them a BIG thumbs up - one of the girls misordered and without batting an eye the manager had the kitchen fire up a new $60 16 oz. prime NY strip for her - they definitely won a fan and a customer today with that kind of service.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more