LTH Home

Street Corn?

Street Corn?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 6th, 2007, 3:38 pm
    Post #31 - June 6th, 2007, 3:38 pm Post #31 - June 6th, 2007, 3:38 pm
    When my bride and I were first dating I was driving along North Ave and stopped at the vendors in front of the Jimenez food mart.

I ordered the elotes (w/ everything and on the cob), a dozen tamales and a pair of fruit/cucumber cups with salt and lime.

Love at first bite! For both the feast and for me. :)
  • Post #32 - June 7th, 2007, 6:22 am
    Post #32 - June 7th, 2007, 6:22 am Post #32 - June 7th, 2007, 6:22 am
    Pie Lady wrote:What's Monarca? Also, does it matter which neighborhood near the lake?

Monarca is a paleteria on Clark street -- paletas are frozen desserts on a stick. They have a couple of dozen varieties, split about evenly between milk-based (leche) and water-based (agua). I mentioned a few of the varieties I tried there in posts in this thread.

And, of course, they have pushcart vendors in most of the parks anywhere nearby. And, of course, there are other paleterias out there. I haven't really compared manufacturers, but I'd guess they're pretty consistent.

As for other places to get elotes, Mhays mentioned Indian Boundary Park which is in Rogers Park, in case the name didn't ring a bell. In addition to Rogers Park, the Albany Park neighborhood might be fairly convenient to Niles and no doubt has a bunch of these places.

I'd recommend just planning to make a day of being in a neighborhood with a large Mexican population and see what you find -- because there's no doubt you'll find more than a couple of vendors.

Paleteria La Monarca
    6955 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL
    (773) 274-6394

Indian Boundary Park
    2500 W Lunt Ave
    Chicago, IL
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #33 - July 16th, 2007, 5:08 am
    Post #33 - July 16th, 2007, 5:08 am Post #33 - July 16th, 2007, 5:08 am
    Maxwell Street Elote Vendor

Mayo, a squeeze of Parkay

A little cheese

Sprinkle of chile

Good to go

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #34 - July 16th, 2007, 7:10 am
    Post #34 - July 16th, 2007, 7:10 am Post #34 - July 16th, 2007, 7:10 am
    Now, that stuff is grilled...some Sunday, we're going to have to get down there....
  • Post #35 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am
    Post #35 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am Post #35 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am
    Today's Dish e-newsletter has a curious elote-related item:

www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Dish/August-20 ... ln-Square/

"Smoked paprika"?? That's one high-fallutin' ear of corn. Must be a Randolph Street elote. ;-)

Also, confidential to Pie Lady and all other seekers:

A sure-fire trick to locating vendors, in Rogers Park at least, is to look for churches that have Spanish-language services. Find a Catholic church, figure out what time Spanish Mass ends, and you're sure to find at least one elotero and probably vendors for fruit, poletas and shaved ice, too. My usual vendor (St. Ignatius, 6559 N. Glenwood, Sundays at around noon) is decent and offers corn in the cup and on the stick.
  • Post #36 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:26 am
    Post #36 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:26 am Post #36 - August 2nd, 2007, 10:26 am
    And G Wiv: thank you, thank you for the photos. Grilled elotes have been a kind of holy grail for me for years. I'd once heard there was a lady in Pilsen who travels with a habachi, but I was never able to track her down...
  • Post #37 - August 1st, 2017, 9:07 am
    Post #37 - August 1st, 2017, 9:07 am Post #37 - August 1st, 2017, 9:07 am
    Hi,

Do elote vendors still roam around Chicago neighborhoods?

If yes, do you recommend any particular vendor who does it especially well?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #38 - August 1st, 2017, 10:50 am
    Post #38 - August 1st, 2017, 10:50 am Post #38 - August 1st, 2017, 10:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Do elote vendors still roam around Chicago neighborhoods?

If yes, do you recommend any particular vendor who does it especially well?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

Yes.

There might be some that are better than others but I've gotten it from various vendors in my neighborhood and park (East Humboldt), and they are all about the same.

I feel like I've heard about a guy at the Polish Triangle (Ashland/Division/Milwaukee) that is 'awesome,' but I also feel like that comes from people that don't venture west of Western too often/ever.
  • Post #39 - August 1st, 2017, 10:53 am
    Post #39 - August 1st, 2017, 10:53 am Post #39 - August 1st, 2017, 10:53 am
    Ziggy,

Thanks!

I like your qualified response to your friend's idea of awesome.

What is the going rate for street elotes as-is or in a cup?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #40 - August 2nd, 2017, 9:08 am
    Post #40 - August 2nd, 2017, 9:08 am Post #40 - August 2nd, 2017, 9:08 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Ziggy,

Thanks!

I like your qualified response to your friend's idea of awesome.

What is the going rate for street elotes as-is or in a cup?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2

$2.50
  • Post #41 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:48 am
    Post #41 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:48 am Post #41 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:48 am
    I do miss my vendor who would campout in front of...

Carnicerias Jimenez
    4204 W North Ave, Chicago
    http://www.carniceriasjimenez.com/
    (773) 486-5805

It was the full package. Elotes, tamales and cups of cut fruit with a dash of chili powder.

They had the perfect preparation of elotes.

Last few times I drove by on a weekend they were absent. Hoping for their return.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #42 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:32 pm
    Post #42 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:32 pm Post #42 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:32 pm
    In the cup, it is known by "esquites". Just thought id throw that out there as a lot of vendors will sell both preparations
  • Post #43 - August 4th, 2017, 9:07 am
    Post #43 - August 4th, 2017, 9:07 am Post #43 - August 4th, 2017, 9:07 am
    I had elotes at Maxwell street market. I ended up throwing most of it away I was disgusted by the liquid squeeze margarine they slopped on it. I think elotes would be delicious if you made it yourself with quality ingredients, or could find someone who would leave out the margarine.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #44 - August 4th, 2017, 9:25 am
    Post #44 - August 4th, 2017, 9:25 am Post #44 - August 4th, 2017, 9:25 am
    toria wrote:I had elotes at Maxwell street market. I ended up throwing most of it away I was disgusted by the liquid squeeze margarine they slopped on it. I think elotes would be delicious if you made it yourself with quality ingredients, or could find someone who would leave out the margarine.

Agreed. Margarine is a deal-breaker.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #45 - August 4th, 2017, 9:30 am
    Post #45 - August 4th, 2017, 9:30 am Post #45 - August 4th, 2017, 9:30 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    toria wrote:I had elotes at Maxwell street market. I ended up throwing most of it away I was disgusted by the liquid squeeze margarine they slopped on it. I think elotes would be delicious if you made it yourself with quality ingredients, or could find someone who would leave out the margarine.

=R=

The only time I accept margarine is on esquites/elotes from a street vendor. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #46 - August 4th, 2017, 9:31 am
    Post #46 - August 4th, 2017, 9:31 am Post #46 - August 4th, 2017, 9:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Jonathan Zaragoza doesn't think so. The proof is in the Parkay.
  • Post #47 - August 4th, 2017, 10:21 am
    Post #47 - August 4th, 2017, 10:21 am Post #47 - August 4th, 2017, 10:21 am
    Jefe wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Jonathan Zaragoza doesn't think so. The proof is in the Parkay.

LOL, I know, I know. But for me, it's just inedible. In fact, I can't even refer to it as food.

=R=
  • Post #48 - August 4th, 2017, 11:31 am
    Post #48 - August 4th, 2017, 11:31 am Post #48 - August 4th, 2017, 11:31 am

I have only had it from street vendors and the ones I visit only use the liquid. I do not think I have had it with stick butter (or whatever).
  • Post #49 - August 8th, 2017, 8:24 am
    Post #49 - August 8th, 2017, 8:24 am Post #49 - August 8th, 2017, 8:24 am
    Hi,

I remember my very first encounter with an elote's vendor. I was totally enthralled with the effort to make one. Surprised by the liquid margarine, which I never would have considered. I loved how it all worked so well together.

I try really, really hard not to reject food based on my preconceived notions. I have had so many delicious (and sometimes not) experiences from just going with the flow.

Where can I find the elote vendor who roasts his corn instead of steaming? I am now very curious about that.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #50 - August 8th, 2017, 10:06 am
    Post #50 - August 8th, 2017, 10:06 am Post #50 - August 8th, 2017, 10:06 am
    What happened to crema and/or mayonesa? To me, that's elotes. Margarine is just indigestible chemicals in a squeeze bottle.

=R=
  • Post #51 - August 8th, 2017, 10:29 am
    Post #51 - August 8th, 2017, 10:29 am Post #51 - August 8th, 2017, 10:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What happened to crema and/or mayonesa? To me, that's elotes. Margarine is just indigestible chemicals in a squeeze bottle.

=R=

They are both ingredients in the making of. Let me see if I remember correctly... Slathered with Crema, rolled in Grated Cheese, squirted with Liquid Margarine, sprinkled with Chili Powder then wrapped in foil.
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on August 8th, 2017, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #52 - August 8th, 2017, 10:40 am
    Post #52 - August 8th, 2017, 10:40 am Post #52 - August 8th, 2017, 10:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Where can I find the elote vendor who roasts his corn instead of steaming? I am now very curious about that.

Regards,
    Cathy2

That would be a challenge as most street vendors are working out of a cooler with precooked product (along with the tamales).

You're best bet would be maybe Maxwell Street Market of a street festival although I haven't seen it.

Montrose BBQ would be an excellent place to experiment. :)

Long ago when my parents would have a stall at the local Oak Park street festival 'Day in the Village', they would fire roast corn in the ear but that was Midwestern style, peeled back, dunked in melted butter and with a shake of salt. Not south of the border style.
  • Post #53 - June 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm
    Post #53 - June 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm Post #53 - June 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm
    germuska wrote:[...]
    I love the fresh tropical fruit vendors -- there's usually one stationed at Pratt and Clark in Rogers Park. I could swear I posted about a great tub of fruit I got from them recently, but I can't find the link here.

Things seem to have cooled off a bit, but a few years ago, the city was actively subverting street vendors like this, so if you like their products, support them, and spread the word to people that they are good. Here's a page which hasn't been updated in many years with a lot of info. I'm hoping that the city realized that these vendors are not a threat.

I thought about creating a new thread, but I know the forum tries to curb redundancy...
    I stumbled onto the fruit stand mentioned above, and it is a game-changer!
    Pratt and Clark, still there and a delight.
    Here is the Yelp link: https://www.yelp.com/biz/fantastik-fruit-cart-chicago -however Yelp reports this vendor as closed. As of today, June 14, 2018 he is most certainly open. This is such a blessing to have on the
    north side, if you have not experienced the art and flavor of this gentleman's work, I highly recommend a trip - totally worth it, whatever side of town you live on.
    Prepare to wait in line (the show helps the time pass quickly), and cash only.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more