LTH Home

Casa de Isaac in Highland Park

Casa de Isaac in Highland Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 7
  • Post #91 - April 9th, 2008, 5:54 pm
    Post #91 - April 9th, 2008, 5:54 pm Post #91 - April 9th, 2008, 5:54 pm
    Here's a follow-up to the CdI's closing for the Passover holidays cited above.

Isaac tells me that with their first anniversary on April 29th, they want to do something special for their customers. So starting April 28th (when they reopen) through Cinco de Mayo (May 5th), they're going to take 10% off their customers' bills. The discount will only be applied to dine-in food and beverages and not delivery or catering services.

Isaac and Moishe feel that this is a nice way to say thank you to all of their customers for making their first year in operation a success. They really appreciate the support from the community in allowing them to exceed their expectations.

Grandpa Bob
  • Post #92 - April 29th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    Post #92 - April 29th, 2008, 1:09 pm Post #92 - April 29th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    After closing for Passover (see my post from 4/9 above), CdI is open again and humming. I went for a late lunch yesterday and had a chance to talk to Isaac.
    We discussed the restaurant's first year in business and their anniversary today. Besides being honored by the LTHForum with a GNR award last Fall, they were featured in the current issue of Chicago Magazine. The article listed CdI as one of 21 best new restaurants for 2008 in the Chicago area. Interestingly prices were mentioned and CdI was the only one with dinner at $20 to $29 without wine, tax or tip. Dinners at other 20 restaurants were more and some considerably more. The person who wrote them up called CdI "the new darling of the North Shore."
    Isaac and his brother, Moishe, feel that the first year was much more successful as they ever imagined. As noted above, they'll be taking 10% off all food and beverage bills (dine-in only) through Cinco de Mayo (5/5). It's their way of saying thank you to the community for patronizing their restaurant during the first year.
    They're such nice guys. It's great to see them succeeding and I personally wish them well in the future.
    GP Bob
  • Post #93 - April 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm
    Post #93 - April 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm Post #93 - April 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm
    The 10% off is for your next visit. They give you a coupon on the bill that you are to use "next time".

We've been going to and loving Isaac's since they opened but were a bit surprised to see the increase in prices. While I understand that the increased cost of living is taking a hit on everything I was not expecting to see an increase of about 20-25% on average for the menu items.

We had the queso fundido (per Chicago Magazine) never had it before and loved it. We also split the huachinango a la Veracruza, had one drink each, a side of pico de gallo and the total was about $45. We'll still be going back, especially if the step-daugher eats their french toast, but maybe not quite as often.
  • Post #94 - May 1st, 2008, 9:27 am
    Post #94 - May 1st, 2008, 9:27 am Post #94 - May 1st, 2008, 9:27 am
    debsdiningdigs wrote:We've been going to and loving Isaac's since they opened but were a bit surprised to see the increase in prices. While I understand that the increased cost of living is taking a hit on everything I was not expecting to see an increase of about 20-25% on average for the menu items.

We had the queso fundido (per Chicago Magazine) never had it before and loved it. We also split the huachinango a la Veracruza, had one drink each, a side of pico de gallo and the total was about $45. We'll still be going back, especially if the step-daugher eats their french toast, but maybe not quite as often.

When Isaac opened his restaurant one year ago, I thought that his prices were too low. I don't know the economics of the restaurant business, but perhaps he had set his prices to attract customers. With the increases that we all have to pay at the supermarket, I don't feel that Isaac's price increases are out of line. I'm assuming that his wholesale prices have increased too and maybe he's just making an adjustment. The $45 (for two?) seems like a bargin to me based on prices charged by other restaurants.

GP Bob
  • Post #95 - May 1st, 2008, 11:55 am
    Post #95 - May 1st, 2008, 11:55 am Post #95 - May 1st, 2008, 11:55 am
    Hi,

The risk one takes when increasing prices is some customers may not accept them. It is a basic economics principle and a natural human reaction. The local car wash raised their prices from $8.50 to $15.50 a few months ago. Where they were once hopping before, their business has become substantially quieter.

There are certainly price increases everywhere you turn presently. A restaurant I go to irregularly, due to distance, had a favorite that was $7.99 two years ago. It was just over $9 last year and recently it was $12.99. At $12.99 and the distance, I will probably go less because the accumulated cost and what they offer is just not worth that much to me.

I never would say Isaac's prices were too low. They were competitive for what they offered.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #96 - May 1st, 2008, 1:06 pm
    Post #96 - May 1st, 2008, 1:06 pm Post #96 - May 1st, 2008, 1:06 pm
    I think that food-related businesses that don't react by raising prices now are going to suffer immeasurably. Nothing on my professional, commodity-dealing radar suggests that prices are likely to retreat anytime soon. While in certain circumstances, waiting it out and not raising prices can be good policy, I don't believe it's good policy now.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #97 - May 1st, 2008, 10:22 pm
    Post #97 - May 1st, 2008, 10:22 pm Post #97 - May 1st, 2008, 10:22 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think that food-related businesses that don't react by raising prices now are going to suffer immeasurably. Nothing on my professional, commodity-dealing radar suggests that prices are likely to retreat anytime soon. While in certain circumstances, waiting it out and not raising prices can be good policy, I don't believe it's good policy now.

=R=

I don't disagree. I think if someone does get sticker shock or simply does not want to pay more, then so be it. We all have our concept of relative value. I am certain Casa del Isaac raised their prices because of rising expenses.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #98 - May 1st, 2008, 10:48 pm
    Post #98 - May 1st, 2008, 10:48 pm Post #98 - May 1st, 2008, 10:48 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think that food-related businesses that don't react by raising prices now are going to suffer immeasurably. Nothing on my professional, commodity-dealing radar suggests that prices are likely to retreat anytime soon. While in certain circumstances, waiting it out and not raising prices can be good policy, I don't believe it's good policy now.

=R=

I don't disagree. I think if someone does get sticker shock or simply does not want to pay more, then so be it. We all have our concept of relative value. I am certain Casa del Isaac raised their prices because of rising expenses.

Regards,

I read somewhere about some restaurants charging for bread service. At first, I thought it was kind of silly and that the additional costs should simply be worked into the restaurant's overall pricing, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe charging customers who want bread is sensible. And those who don't want it don't have to subsidize it. Of course, if you're going to charge for bread, hopefully it's good, fresh bread that hasn't been recycled from table to table.

As for CdI, I'm guessing that they're not happy about having to raise prices. It can't be comfortable to do so. As you describe, there is a sensitivity point beyond which some customers will simply choose not to participate. All restaurateurs can hope for is that their customers understand what is driving the increases and that the increases don't push the customers out of the market.

=R=
  • Post #99 - May 2nd, 2008, 8:15 am
    Post #99 - May 2nd, 2008, 8:15 am Post #99 - May 2nd, 2008, 8:15 am
    A recent Wall Street Journal article, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120493352022320755.html discussed what many restaurants are doing to offset the rise in their food costs. It appears that the alternative to raising prices is to cut back on the portion sizes. It's an interesting article and explains how the restaurant industry is handling price increases.
    GP Bob
  • Post #100 - May 5th, 2008, 11:28 am
    Post #100 - May 5th, 2008, 11:28 am Post #100 - May 5th, 2008, 11:28 am
    Just returned from picking up our Cinco de Mayo carry-out lunch at La CdI, where I was informed by Moishe that Isaac will be appearing on the noon news today on WGN. I guess we'll watch while we eat here at the office. . .

=R=
  • Post #101 - May 5th, 2008, 12:00 pm
    Post #101 - May 5th, 2008, 12:00 pm Post #101 - May 5th, 2008, 12:00 pm
    Thanks for the heads up, Ronnie, on Isaac's TV appearance. It was fun to watch.
    GP Bob
  • Post #102 - July 25th, 2008, 12:34 pm
    Post #102 - July 25th, 2008, 12:34 pm Post #102 - July 25th, 2008, 12:34 pm
    The matriarch of the Nava clan, Mama Florencia, has returned for a visit to CdI. In honor of her return, Isaac decided to start featuring "specials." He probably got the recipes from her!

Last night we took a friend from the Washington DC area to CdI. He ordered Mama's enchiladas and my wife and I split one of the specials after appetizers of their homemade guac and chips. (I also order a Bohemia classica beer which Isaac introduced me to a while back.) We had the grilled tilapia with shell pasta, veggies, lots of garlic and topped with a white wine sauce. It was extremely tasty and easily enough for the two of us. CdI also listed a chicken version of the dish.

In addition, they had another special, chicken mixotes with pasta and cactus salad. Isaac tells me that it's made by assembling a foil packet of a chicken breast, epazote (an herb) and diced potatoes, carrots and peas. The dish is steamed in the packet and served with the pasta and cactus salad. Sounds pretty good.

All three specials were priced at $17.95.

Isaac also informs me that the three specials were only offered last night (Thurs. 7/24) as sort of a test run. He plans to offer these specials again beginning next Monday and throughout the week. I'll bet that the most popular one ends up on a future menu.

The joint was jumping when we got there at 7 pm, but they have lots of outdoor seating during the summer months. We only had to wait about five or 10 minutes.

Reminder: CdI closes at 3 pm on Fridays and opens again one hour after sundown on Saturdays. So during the summer, they open at 9 pm.

Best regards,
    Grandpa Bob
  • Post #103 - July 27th, 2008, 5:45 pm
    Post #103 - July 27th, 2008, 5:45 pm Post #103 - July 27th, 2008, 5:45 pm
    On a Sunday with nothing big planned Mrs. Trpt and I sauntered up Sheridan Road (what is up with the construction in Wilmette?) to check out CdI. We got there at 3:30 more or less,there were a couple of other tables occupied. In a nutshell the food was very good but the service so shoddy I won't be going back.
    The waiter appeared bored, asked for a drink order and brought chips. No salsa. We had to ask for it, and we got a sweetish bland red sauce that tasted like ketchup with cumin. The guacamole was very good, lot of cilantro and onion and a perfect amount of tomato, chunky and not the horrible puree you get some places. We ordered drinks which sat on the bar for a good five minutes while our waiter was talking on the phone.
    The Mrs.ordered a small sopa de res and ceviche tostadas, I ordered the tampiquena. It was a good thing we got the guacamole right away because the sopa took a good thirty minutes to arrive. The sopa was exquisite, the Mrs. described as just like her aunt in Uruapan used to make. After another ten minutes my tampiquena arrived; the skirt steak was perfectly grilled, tender and tasty,the frijoles were good too. We had to ask for the cebollas which were mentioned by both the menu and the waiter. I had to ask him to bring tortillas which he had forgotten and then he brought flour when I had ordered corn tortillas and then wanted to argue with me about it (I NEVER order flour tortillas). Another waitress came and dumped a couple of underdone cebollas with no greens on my steak. The enchilada was marred by an overabundance of melted cheese. Still no ceviche, which finally arrived after I was done with the tampiquena. I had to flag down the waiter to order another beer which again sat on the bar for quite a while before he delivered it.
    In a competitive business enviornment there is just no excuse for such indifferent, forgetful and uncaring service. The food was good, but the pacing and overall experience were so bad we'll never go back. The food is on a par with other good neighborhood joints (e.g. La Quebrada) but that's not enough to make up for the bad service. And the prices are not competitive for the product, the $60 we spent would have gone just as far as at Mixteco where the food is way better and the service is top-notch even at its most busy.
    trpt2345
  • Post #104 - July 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    Post #104 - July 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm Post #104 - July 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    Isaac Nava, Cdi's owner, called me today and asked me to stop by his restaurant. He and his brother, Moishe, were quite upset about the service issue that trpt2345 cited in his post yesterday. They asked me to reply.

They appreciate the criticism and realize that the problem pointed out is not the way that they want to or should run their business. The problem has been resolved and Isaac hopes that it won't happen again.

Isaac realizes that CdI's business success is dependent upon repeat customers. They are sorry that this customer had a less than satisfactory experience. They promise they will continue to seek high standards for their restaurant in both the quality of their food and service.

They recognize that their current and future customers want to have an enjoyable experience. Isaac and his family plan to continue providing the best that they can.
    "It was very nice the time I was there." - my Mother whenever she was asked her opinion of a restaurant
  • Post #105 - July 29th, 2008, 10:00 pm
    Post #105 - July 29th, 2008, 10:00 pm Post #105 - July 29th, 2008, 10:00 pm
    I have to say, I was contacted in a roundabout way by the owners and offered some compensation for our bad experience, and I must say I greatly appreciate it and will give Casa de Isaac another shot. I will report later, but I am impressed with such quick response.
    trpt2345
  • Post #106 - July 30th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    Post #106 - July 30th, 2008, 3:23 pm Post #106 - July 30th, 2008, 3:23 pm
    Isaac just told me that a producer from ABC-TV (Channel 7) phoned yesterday. They want to bring a crew to the CdI for a taping. They plan to spend some time interviewing Issac and Moishe and some customers. (I'm sure the producer mentioned when the tape would air, but Isaac missed that detail.) So Isaac asked me to post the following:

He would like to invite his LTHForum friends to visit the restaurant that day. The taping is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug 12th from noon to 2 pm. I'd suggest phoning CdI after 10 am (847-433-5550) to make sure that the TV crew will be there.

The producer asked Isaac to make some Jewish-Mexican dishes. That day he'll be introducing a newly created item - lox quesadillas. He tells me the dish is going to be made with nova lox, onion, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Isaac plans to make this item an "off-the-menu special" and hopes to offer it on a regular basis if there's enough demand.

He also expects to demonstrate the salmon enchiladas and two of the latkes that they made last December - the traditional ones with applesauce and sour cream and the ones with the guajillo chili pepper sauce. The latkes may or may not be available for everyone during the taping.

Please put that date & time on your calendar and enjoy the taping. You might be on TV.

Regards,
    GP Bob
    "It was very nice the time I was there." - my Mother whenever she was asked her opinion of a restaurant
  • Post #107 - August 5th, 2008, 2:05 pm
    Post #107 - August 5th, 2008, 2:05 pm Post #107 - August 5th, 2008, 2:05 pm
    I just posted a luncheon invitation on the Events Calendar for the ABC-TV taping above at CdI next Tues.
    Check out the details at the Event Calendar BB.
    Hope you can join us.
    Best,
    GPBob
  • Post #108 - August 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm
    Post #108 - August 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm Post #108 - August 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm
    Dang! I would like to be there, but I head out of town before then. I hope that while some of you are at la Casa de Isaac next Tuesday, I'll be collecting data for a post on Roy's in Hawaii.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #109 - August 10th, 2008, 9:23 am
    Post #109 - August 10th, 2008, 9:23 am Post #109 - August 10th, 2008, 9:23 am
    Just a reminder:

Some of the LTHF folks will be visiting CdI this coming Tues. 8/12 for lunch. There's no host for the event so attendees will be expected to share the cost.

The details are posted above, but let's try to get there at 11:45 before the ABC-TV crew arrives.

Please advise me by replying to this post or the one on the Events Calendar forum no later than 10 am the day of the event. The seating limit is 20 people.

Attendees so far:
    Grandpa Bob & Grandma Bobbi
    Ronnie Suburban & guest
    Greenfish
    Cynthia

Hope that a few more of you can make it. Of course, those of you with time constraints don't have to stay the full two hours of the taping. It ought to be fun.

Regards,
    GP Bob
  • Post #110 - August 12th, 2008, 8:59 am
    Post #110 - August 12th, 2008, 8:59 am Post #110 - August 12th, 2008, 8:59 am
    I just spoke to Isaac's brother, Moishe. The ABC-TV crew won't be there until 12:30. So those of you coming to today's luncheon, please note the change in time and plan on arriving at 12;15..
    See you there.
    Best,
    GP Bob
  • Post #111 - August 12th, 2008, 3:12 pm
    Post #111 - August 12th, 2008, 3:12 pm Post #111 - August 12th, 2008, 3:12 pm
    Here's a report on the ABC-TV taping today at CdI.

Only four of us (Cynthia, Greenfish, Grandma Bobbi and I) attended, but Cynthia and Greenfish hadn't been to CdI before.

The crew interviewed Isaac and a few customers including me.

The taping is scheduled to air on the ABC "190 North" show on Sunday, Sept. 7 at 10:35 on Channel 7. So set your TiVos. The angle for the segment was CdI's take on Mexican food being prepared in the "Jewish style." Isaac had prepared several dishes for them to tape including their King David lox quesadillas, Mama's and Rubin's salmon enchiladas, some masa boats, a "Trio" special of salmon, skirt steak and an enchilada, a latke dish (see below) and a few other items.

(An aside: When I was interviewed, they asked if I could imagine food made in the Mexican Jewish style. I mentioned that many European Jews settled in Mexico City prior to World War II. So they probably brought some Jewish influences to Mexico. However, i told the interviewer that CdI food isn't to be confused with Jewish cooking, but I my opinion it's just excellent Mexican food. I wonder how much of my interview will be edited out.)

Isaac's Mom had made her potato latke especia for the taping even though it wasn't the Hanukkah season. I thought her version was even better than what Isaac prepared last December. I told Isaac and he agreed. That item was only for today and we'll all have to wait until Hanukkah rolls around again to enjoy those particular latkes.

After we enjoyed a guac appetizer, we ordered the latkes especia and shared. Cynthia ordered the chiles rellenos with ground beef, Greenfish, who had driven all the way up from Orland Park with her cute six-month old baby, enjoyed the chicken mole, Grandma Bobbi ordered Isaac's Ensalda con Pollo and I shared an order of Mama' enchilada's and I had one fish taco to "wash them down."

It was more than enough food. Cynthia and Greenfish loved everything. (What's not to like.) Greenfish even gave her little one a taste of the refried beans and he loved them! When I told Isaac, he informed us that his mother used to feed him frijoles when he was that age. Mama knows best that beans are high in protein and fiber. We imagined that Greenfish's baby was one of the youngest customers to enjoy CdI food.

Isaac was sorry that more LTHF folks didn't attend the taping lunch, but he looks forward to seeing them in the future.

Best regards,
    GP Bob
  • Post #112 - August 12th, 2008, 3:16 pm
    Post #112 - August 12th, 2008, 3:16 pm Post #112 - August 12th, 2008, 3:16 pm
    Thanks, Bob, for the update. It sounds like a fun time and a delicious lunch.

I'm very sorry that I was not able to make it -- just too much going on at the office these days. It's August and the vacations are fast and furious around here.

I'm thrilled for the Navas and will make a point of getting over to LCdI before Mama departs for home.

I'll definitely set the Tivo!

=R=
  • Post #113 - August 23rd, 2008, 5:42 pm
    Post #113 - August 23rd, 2008, 5:42 pm Post #113 - August 23rd, 2008, 5:42 pm
    Mrs.Trpt and I will be going tomorrow to give CdI another shot. I'm looking forward it.
    trpt2345
  • Post #114 - August 24th, 2008, 9:11 pm
    Post #114 - August 24th, 2008, 9:11 pm Post #114 - August 24th, 2008, 9:11 pm
    What a wonderful day. About 11:00 I called Casa de Isaac and told Isaac we would be coming, and he said great, come on down. I went with Mrs. Trpt and a friend who is from Mexico also. It was a completely different experience from the first time around a month ago. Isaac greeted us warmly, and told us to choose a table. Moishe himself was our server, and we told him to put us in his hands, choose whatever he wanted. We started with their fabulous guacamole and taquitos the name of which I can't remember, but which had frijoles and some form of cheese, very tasty. They brought three different entrees, for me a salmon, tampiquena and enchilada combination, for our friend a tilapia dish with pasta and for Mrs.Trpt mom's enchiladas. Moishe was unfailingly gracious, and we couldn't believe he was 36 years old with three children. His baby face will serve him well in the coming years (a condition I know myself, I was carded until I was thirty five and people consistently underestimate my age-better than the alternative). I am totally salmoned out, and haven't ordered salmon in years, but this was very good with a nice sweet glaze and grilled char. We shared everything; the tilapia was tasty and the pasta had a nice cream sauce. The enchiladas were good, but I really noticed the difference that home made tortillas make; unlike Mixteco, Frontera, Fonda del Mar and other places CdI uses store bought tortillas. Maybe my tastes have become too elevated but the difference is palpable. Deserts were good too, but the tres leches was from a bakery, not on premises. Not bad, but not original. We met Sra. Florencia, the mom of Isaac and Moishe (and ten others) who was wonderful. We had a long conversation. My over all impression was like being in Mexico on the road somewhere where we had stumbled on a jewel of a restaurant. We spent three hours altogether, eating, drinking, talking, eating some more and talking some more. Remarkably similar to Mexico. Most of the talk was in Spanish which I understand pretty well but speak less well. I was able to tell Isaac when we arrived (en espanol) that I was lucky to be an American with two Mexican women; he replied he wasn't wealthy enough to accomplish that-in Spanish somehow it sounds much funnier, a poetic language al fondo.
    We will certainly be back. Our original bad experience has been totally erased, and kudos to everyone there. Gemuchtlekeit? Is that the German expression? Very familial, very warm, very acommodating, and superior food. Truly Mexican in taste and spirit.
    trpt2345
  • Post #115 - September 7th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    Post #115 - September 7th, 2008, 4:11 pm Post #115 - September 7th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    Sunday is probably my favorite day of the week to eat at La Casa de Isaac. It's not that I don't enjoy eating there during the week -- as I do with some frequency -- but I just love the relaxed vibe on Sundays and the fact that the food-loving Nava family tends to offer some "off menu" items on Sundays.

Today was no exception. We arrived at about 1 pm and the place was bustling but not insanely busy. The large, garage-type doors that face Temple Avenue were open, allowing the breeze to flow gently into the restaurant, pleasantly blurring the line between the indoor and outdoor dining areas. When we entered, Moishe greeted us warmly and mentioned enthusiastically that barbacoa de chivo was available today. Even though I arrived very much in the mood for breakfast, I was eager to try the chivo, too . . .

Barbacoa de Chivo
    The delicious meat on the plate -- which is served with beans, rice, onions, cilantro, lime and tortillas -- was tender, rich and, for lack of a better term, goaty. It was accented by a minimal application of a slightly sweet sauce/paste, that was likely made from a combination of dried chiles.

Taco de Chivo
    We chose corn tortillas with our chivo and I made myself a taco.

Even though the chivo was fantastic, breakfast was still very much on my mind, so I ordered the huevos rancheros . . .

Huevos Rancheros
    No worries here about 'corporate policy' on how the eggs needed to be cooked. In fact, runny yolks are the default setting. These eggs came to me as shown above without my even indicating how I wanted them cooked. Topped with a zesty salsa and some pungent cotija cheese, they were simply phenomenal.

A couple others in our party ordered the delectable burrito desayuno . . .

Burrito Desayuno
    Scrambled eggs with cecina, onions, cheese, tomatoes and jalapenos. This is one of my favorite items as La Casa de Isaac.

It was a very enjoyable and delicious breakfast and before we departed, we chatted with some other diners, sitting next to us, who are also big fans of LCdI. One person in that party indicated that she eats there several times per week and just loves the food. She mentioned that a few weeks back -- in response to another customer's inquiry -- they turned out several dozen tamales. In describing them, and discussing how they were made with Isaac, while we listened, I have to admit I had a slight (ok, major) case of tamale envy and hope that if they decide to make them again, I'll get a chance to try them. But the bottom line is the the Nava family loves food, loves to cook and even more so, loves to feed others. That love is the heart and soul of La Casa de Isaac and why eating there is such a pleasure. You never know what these guys will be turning out (in addition to their regular menu) but you can be sure that whatever it is, it'll be from the heart and likely be in response to something a customer brought up. Simply put, they take great satisfaction in going above and beyond for their customers by surprising them with a version of some dish that they may have only metioned in passing. Many of us here, who also love to feed our friends and family, probably understand what I'm talking about. In my mind, though, the dynamic is so rare in restaurants these days, that when you do find it somewhere, it's truly special.

One other thing . . . before we left, Isaac reminded me that the segment on the restaurant which was taped back on August 12, will air tonight on channel 7 (ABC/WLS) at 10:30 pm, so get your Tivos ready! :wink:

=R=
  • Post #116 - September 8th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    Post #116 - September 8th, 2008, 3:30 pm Post #116 - September 8th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    Ronnie Suburban's post above turned me on. The last and only time I ever ate goat was when I enjoyed a goat stew for lunch one lovely day on the isle of Nevis in the Caribbean.

So I called Isaac this morning and asked if he had any chivo still available. He told me that he had a little bit left from yesterday and I asked him to hold onto it until I arrived for lunch. When I got to the restaurant I ordered the barbacoa de chivo. I took some of the chivo, onions, cilantro and put it on a tortilla then squeezed a little lime on top and added some salsa. A great dish for lunch.

Isaac tells me that they'll only be serving barbacoa de chivo on Sundays. He also told me that he'd be happy to let customers taste a sample before ordering. I'm sure if it's not to your liking, no one will be offended if you don't ask for a full order. The dish costs $14 and I think would be a nice item to share.

Barbacoa means barbeque in Mexican, but it's not truly a barbeque dish as we Americans know it. The goat meat is marinated overnight with chili peppers and a number of different spices. The next day it's cooked until tender (five to six hours or more) on a bed of avocado leaves. The goat is layered between avocado leaves, more goat is added and more leaves and then the entire dish is tightly sealed and steamed.

For more information, check out "barbacoa" on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbacoa). There's even a recipe on the Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking ... 07,00.html) but they seem to roast the meat rather than steam it.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ronnie. The barbacoa de chivo was a most unusual lunch to say the least. Has anyone out there ever seen goat on a Chicagoland restaurant menu?

You're right in saying that Isaac "stirs the pot" (pun intended) and tries new dishes that he thinks his customers might enjoy.

Best regards,
    Grandpa Bob
    (My mug appeared on the ABC-TV 190 North piece featuring CdI last night. Ah, my 15 seconds of fame! Here's a podcast URL of the show, but I can't get it to play. http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/podcast/ ... odcast.m4v I don't think they have it set up correctly because i can download some other 190N episodes. The CdI segment is the third one if I recall. I've sent them an email to fix the problem. I'd like to send a copy of the podcast to friends and to Isaac's brother, Moishe, who didn't see the show last night.)
  • Post #117 - September 8th, 2008, 5:02 pm
    Post #117 - September 8th, 2008, 5:02 pm Post #117 - September 8th, 2008, 5:02 pm
    Grandpa Bob wrote:Has anyone out there ever seen goat on a Chicagoland restaurant menu?

I've never thought of goat as particularly hard to find find on menus in Chicagoland. Heck, there's even one LTH Great Neighborhood Restaurant - Birrieria Reyes de Ocotlán - that serves only goat.
  • Post #118 - September 8th, 2008, 5:25 pm
    Post #118 - September 8th, 2008, 5:25 pm Post #118 - September 8th, 2008, 5:25 pm
    Grandpa Bob wrote:Has anyone out there ever seen goat on a Chicagoland restaurant menu?

Goat is on the menu at Khan's BBQ everyday and it is quite good. I sampled some last on the endless stomach tour!
  • Post #119 - September 8th, 2008, 6:22 pm
    Post #119 - September 8th, 2008, 6:22 pm Post #119 - September 8th, 2008, 6:22 pm
    Birria Huentitan is still around somewhere too, I think near Cemitas de Puebla.

The first time I drove to Mexico it was in the spring. In central Mexico around Matehuala I started to see folks by the side of the road holding up baby goats as we drove by. I asked my Mexican wife what they were doing; they're selling them, she said. For pets? No, numbskull, to eat. We stopped at a roadside place outside of San Luis Potosi for the best birria I ever had. We stopped at the same place going back too.
    trpt2345
  • Post #120 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 pm
    Post #120 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 pm Post #120 - September 8th, 2008, 6:31 pm
    Grandpa Bob wrote:(My mug appeared on the ABC-TV 190 North piece featuring CdI last night. Ah, my 15 seconds of fame! Here's a podcast URL of the show, but I can't get it to play. http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/podcast/ ... odcast.m4v I don't think they have it set up correctly because i can download some other 190N episodes. The CdI segment is the third one if I recall. I've sent them an email to fix the problem. I'd like to send a copy of the podcast to friends and to Isaac's brother, Moishe, who didn't see the show last night.)

Saw the all-too-brief segment and thought you did an excellent job, Bob. :)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more