LTH Home

Casa de Isaac in Highland Park

Casa de Isaac in Highland Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - December 20th, 2011, 11:07 pm
    Post #181 - December 20th, 2011, 11:07 pm Post #181 - December 20th, 2011, 11:07 pm
    Grandpa Bob wrote:Moishe asked me to mention to all of their LTH Forum followers that they are serving latkes throughout December. They have three styles: the traditional ones with applesauce and sour cream and two Mexican styles - one with ranchero sauce and the other with guajillo sauce. Both restaurants will be serving these traditional Jewish delicacies and their grocery store has them for carry out.
    Enjoy!
    Regards,
    Grandpa Bob

Went there tonight; I probably shouldn't have assumed that they would have latkes tonight, but I did- I figured the first night of Hanukkah, it would make sense to have them. Maybe they did- we had a bit of a communication problem/language barrier with our server. My husband was trying to ask what guajillo sauce was (on the enchiladas), and the server seemed confused by the question. My husband said, "right here, where you can choose mole, guajillo or tomatillo- is guajillo a tomato-based sauce?" The server just said "mole?" and I said, "no, he's asking about the guajillo sauce- is it a tomato sauce?" He said "yes", and wrote something down. Well, he ended up with mole sauce. It wasn't what he wanted, but he didn't send it back because it was *really* good mole.

One of the other people at our table asked for no onion on his tacos and there was onion on it when it got to the table. When we got the server to come back to us, he said, "you said no lettuce." I, and the two other people at the table, clearly heard our friend say "no onion". Then there was a long hesitation from the server as to what to do next, as though not taking the dish back was an option and it seemed to be with great reluctance that he did take it back and got a new set of tacos.

The check was brought to us without asking if we wanted dessert or anything.

They weren't even that busy- it was fairly early in the evening and there were 6 or 7 tables that were empty, so there was no reason to be rushing us out. My husband and I have a pretty high tolerance for not-so-great service, and to us, it was a minor issue. Everyone there is really nice and the food is great, so I don't even want to say I was disappointed (except for the lack of latkes- I really wanted to try them!) I think our friend with the taco problem was pretty annoyed, though.
  • Post #182 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:26 pm
    Post #182 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:26 pm Post #182 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:26 pm
    A lady friend and I went to CdI last night. I ordered a mojito since IMHO Claudia makes the best one on the North Shore. My friend order Isaac's salad for the first time and loved it. I thought she'd have enough to take home but she finished the whoke thing. I love a lady with a good appetite.
    I ordered one of my favorites - the chiles rellenos stuffed with cheese and topped with mole sauce. I just love that dish.
    As the food arrived, I realized that I should have ordered the latkes especially since I made the post above reminding LTHForum readers that CdI and the sister establishments would be serving them throughout the month.
    So I went back today for lunch. I ordered one latke with ranchero sauce and the other with mole. The latkes were cooked to perfection and I enjoyed the Mexican accents.
    The waiter last night, who happened to be the same one today, was attentive and brought the food in a timely manner. Last night we were asked if we wanted desserts and declined since we both were quite filled. CdI keeps serving great food at a good price point.
    Regards,
    Grandpa Bob
    "It was very nice the time I was there." - my Mother whenever she was asked her opinion of a restaurant
  • Post #183 - March 26th, 2012, 6:05 pm
    Post #183 - March 26th, 2012, 6:05 pm Post #183 - March 26th, 2012, 6:05 pm
    Isaac tells me that in late April, CdI will be celebrating their fifth anniversary. For the entire month of April, they'll be offering a special food and beverage combo. You can get an order of four of their Mama's Favorite Enchiladas and a premium margarita for only $15. (That the normal price of the enchiladas so the margarita is essentially free.)
    The offer is only good at their original restaruant on Temple next to Highwood.
    Regards,
    Grandpa Bob

La Casa de Isaac
    431 Temple
    Highland Park, IL
    847-433-5550
    "It was very nice the time I was there." - my Mother whenever she was asked her opinion of a restaurant
  • Post #184 - April 9th, 2012, 12:35 pm
    Post #184 - April 9th, 2012, 12:35 pm Post #184 - April 9th, 2012, 12:35 pm
    HI,

I went to the Deli for lunch today. I already had plan B, if they were closed for Passover.

This year they closed for only two nights, their restaurants and deli are open otherwise. In the past, they closed for all of Passover.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #185 - June 29th, 2012, 4:19 pm
    Post #185 - June 29th, 2012, 4:19 pm Post #185 - June 29th, 2012, 4:19 pm
    Issac and Moishe want to remind everyone that they're at the Highwood Gourmet Farmer's Market on Wednesday nights all summer long. It runs through Sept 12 from 4 to 9 pm. The market outgrew its space in front of City Hall and moved this year to Evert Park, which is just north of Highwood's library.

In addition, both restaurants are featuring margarita Mondays with house margaritas at $3 and premium at $6 each on the rocks. That's a real deal.

And check out their newly designed website at http://www.lacasadeisaac.com/

Regards,
    Grandpa Bob
  • Post #186 - December 14th, 2012, 8:58 am
    Post #186 - December 14th, 2012, 8:58 am Post #186 - December 14th, 2012, 8:58 am
    Have you tried CdI's latkes for Hanukkah? Both restaurnats and their deli will be serving three style of this delicacy during the entire month of December. They make the traditional- latkes and two Mexican styles. Try them, you'll like 'em.
    Regards,
    Grandpa Bob
  • Post #187 - December 12th, 2013, 10:12 am
    Post #187 - December 12th, 2013, 10:12 am Post #187 - December 12th, 2013, 10:12 am
    Isaac's brother, Moishe, tells me that they've been serving potato latkes again for the entire month of December. They have three styles - the traditional ones with apple sauce and/or sour cream and two Mexican style latkes. Give them a try for the holidays. I love 'em.
    Regards,
    GP Bob
  • Post #188 - February 5th, 2014, 1:53 pm
    Post #188 - February 5th, 2014, 1:53 pm Post #188 - February 5th, 2014, 1:53 pm
    You have a chance to win a free dinner for two by signing up for CdI's VIP Text Club. Signing up allows you to get messages about coupons,, specials and other announcements. You can sign up at either the 1st St. or Temple Ave. locations,

With Valentine's Day being the busiest day in the restaurant business after Mother's Day, why don't you take your sweetheart out the night before? Moishe Nava, Isaac's brother, suggests dining at their restaueants on Thursday, the 13th. Since they're closed on Fridays normally because of the Jewish Sabbath, going on Thursday would allow you to avoid the crowds. Seems like a good idea.
  • Post #189 - July 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Post #189 - July 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm Post #189 - July 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm
    From their facebook page for Casa de Isaac (Temple Ave).

Please note the grocery store and 1st Street location in Highland Park are not closing.

WE HAVE SOME NEWS...

We would like to say thank you for all the support that we have had throughout all these wonderful years. You are invited to come in & join us for our last month of business.

Sincerely,
    Nava family
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more