LTH Home

I am Katsu's Bitch

I am Katsu's Bitch
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - June 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    Post #121 - June 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm Post #121 - June 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    Here's a crappy cell phone shot of my latest 12 piece omakase at Katsu. It was, as always, stellar.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #122 - June 27th, 2013, 3:00 pm
    Post #122 - June 27th, 2013, 3:00 pm Post #122 - June 27th, 2013, 3:00 pm
    Have had that lineup--more or less--twice. Second from the left--the sake, which is the butteriest, silkiest salmon ever, topped off by little explosions of salmon roe, the ikura. If underneath was some of Mrs. Katsu's homemade wasabi, which really packs a punch, that's pretty close to the perfect bite.
  • Post #123 - July 5th, 2013, 5:05 am
    Post #123 - July 5th, 2013, 5:05 am Post #123 - July 5th, 2013, 5:05 am
    stevez wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here's some great, tangential news relating to Katsu: a friend who lives nearby tells me that the eternal construction project at Peterson and Lincoln has actually been completed. This should make accessing Katsu from any direction much, much easier. I haven't seen it myself but I trust the information's source very much.

=R=

I can confirm this. The construction has been completed for nearly two weeks now.

Perhaps I spoke too soon:

Peterson Bridge Construction

The State of Illinois Department of Transportation has informed us that the bridge on Peterson Avenue west of Lincoln Avenue will need to undergo further construction due necessary structural steel repairs.

The bridge will be under construction during the period of July 8 to approximately mid-August with the outside lanes being shut down in both directions during the hours of 7am – 3:30pm. Evening work will be done over the bike path but will not require lane closures.

At least all lanes will be open in the evening, so access to Katsu should not be affected too badly (I hope).
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #124 - September 8th, 2013, 7:51 pm
    Post #124 - September 8th, 2013, 7:51 pm Post #124 - September 8th, 2013, 7:51 pm
    Donna and I went to Katsu tonight and the sushi was as fabulous as ever, if not more so. With the latest Zagat rankings, and the resulting onslaught, they seem to be having a few more service issues than usual. Back room completely full and only one table was occupied in front room and a few couples at the sushi bar. Four very disorganized servers were on the floor.

No Oshibori (a first ever for me at a Japanese restaurant.)
    Had to ask twice for water.
    Miso soup lukewarm.
    Had to ask for a spoon...server brought a teaspoon...when asked again, we got larger spoons.
    Tempura vegetables wonderful.
    Nigiri included King crab, uni, ebi w fried head. smelt roe, salmon, salmon caviar, tamago and spicy octopus roll. Could not have been better with one exception...a large piece of shell/cartilage running through one of our $9 Alaskan king crab nigiri.
    Midway through the sushi, I added on an order of the Wagyu beef tripe appetizer...never got it.
    Waited an extremely long time for the check.
    After the bill was paid, the server apologized for never ordering my add on appetizer.

Again...stellar sushi, but in the 7-8 or so times we've dined there, the service has always been a little underwhelming. Tonight it was pretty poor. I hope they're able to deal with the hordes.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #125 - September 8th, 2013, 8:28 pm
    Post #125 - September 8th, 2013, 8:28 pm Post #125 - September 8th, 2013, 8:28 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Again...stellar sushi, but in the 7-8 or so times we've dined there, the service has always been a little underwhelming. Tonight it was pretty poor.

Totally agree, Mr Evil.

Stellar sushi, at least by Chicago standards, but amateurish/unattentive service the last 3-4 times I've dined there.
  • Post #126 - September 28th, 2013, 8:11 am
    Post #126 - September 28th, 2013, 8:11 am Post #126 - September 28th, 2013, 8:11 am
    Love the sushi, dig the entrees, adore Chef Katsu & wife, scratching my head at the recent hit-and-miss service...

Had an early reservation but upon entering the near-empty restaurant, we had to wait at least three minutes before we were acknowledged and seated, after two of the waitstaff had to go into the back and consult on where our table would be.

Yes, service was slow but tolerable. Started out with a Super White Toro Roll with escolar, which was fantastic, the flavors just exploding. Also enjoyed a marinated mackerel sushi with paper-thin gold seaweed on top, and a Scottish salmon sushi topped with ikura (salmon egg).

The miso soup was just OK, but I was there for the stellar asparagus beef rolls, six 4" long angle-cut pieces, braciole-like steak around crunchy standard-size asparagus, with drizzled teriyaki sauce, accompanied by Katsu's fresh salad. It's my go-to entree when I'm not concentrating on the sushi. Best I've had, hands down.

Because of the sheer quality of chef Katsu's fare, the waitstaff pushing of certain bold-faced items on the menu was merely a minor annoyance. It's been fairly noticeable the last few visits, and it's almost like they don't understand that there's an art to directing diners towards certain menu items. It has to come up naturally in conversation to my way of thinking. Oh, one other thing. For whatever reason, California rolls are off the menu, which also is no big whoop because the escolar roll was phenomenal.
  • Post #127 - March 15th, 2014, 10:16 am
    Post #127 - March 15th, 2014, 10:16 am Post #127 - March 15th, 2014, 10:16 am
    Mrs Willie & I went to Katsu last night, I had not been in awhile having had a mediocre experience many many years ago. While I'm not quite Katsu's bitch, I came very close to applying for the position.

Starter of tuna tartare w/quail egg, whoa, simply stunning.

Followed by Washington button clams in a sake broth. While I don't hope to achieve the level of this dish at home, we will be trying this one out very soon in my kitchen, that good.
    stevez wrote:

using Steve's photo, we also enjoyed the "Super premium" yellowtail (far left in photo I believe). This hands down for me was the most amazing piece of fish I've had since Tojo's in Vancouver. Knocked it out of the park for me.

Mrs Willie's star for the evening was the Toro Gunkan Fatty Tuna which is the ground red tuna in the top row/far right. She ordered another of these.

We enjoyed the Botan Ebi (Giant Sweet Shrimp) w/ fried head (pretty obvious which this one is in the photo)

Katsumaki Roll w/tuna, yellowtail, masago, avocado, crabstick and cucumber was very refreshing

The only dish that really didn't work for me last night was the maki roll Ume-Jiso Octopus with plum sauce and shiso leaf. The shiso leaf was far too prominent a flavor for me & overwhelmed the rest of the ingredients.

We arrived shortly before 6pm, and were told the only seats available were at the sushi bar (fine with us). The other tables were still empty by the time we left. I was a little puzzled by this. But sitting at the sushi bar allows interaction with the chef which we enjoy.

With a couple of beers our bill was <$150 w/tip, I knew our experience was worth it.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #128 - March 15th, 2014, 11:46 am
    Post #128 - March 15th, 2014, 11:46 am Post #128 - March 15th, 2014, 11:46 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Followed by Washington button clams in a sake broth. While I don't hope to achieve the level of this dish at home, we will be trying this one out very soon in my kitchen, that good.

The Japanese know how to do clams in soup. Misoya's spicy miso with clams should have gone on my top ten dishes for 2013, and miso and clam is one of the flavor pairings I've got to work with soon (the other that I've been tempted to try is pistachio and galangal... but that's another show).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #129 - March 18th, 2014, 1:00 pm
    Post #129 - March 18th, 2014, 1:00 pm Post #129 - March 18th, 2014, 1:00 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:Followed by Washington button clams in a sake broth. While I don't hope to achieve the level of this dish at home, we will be trying this one out very soon in my kitchen, that good.

The Japanese know how to do clams in soup. Misoya's spicy miso with clams should have gone on my top ten dishes for 2013, and miso and clam is one of the flavor pairings I've got to work with soon (the other that I've been tempted to try is pistachio and galangal... but that's another show).
    on a regular basis I've been heating up some roasted garlic oil in my wok, then throwing in a lb of the manila clams from Boston Fish Market, the clams open up, release their liquid gold which mixes with the garlic olive oil & voila, delicious sauce to mop up & tasty clams. I like the sound of miso & clams.
  • Post #130 - October 13th, 2014, 8:30 am
    Post #130 - October 13th, 2014, 8:30 am Post #130 - October 13th, 2014, 8:30 am
    Wanted to mention that in my last couple of visits to Katsu, since the Zagat "Top Food in Chicago" ranking in September 2013, there seems to be a systemic change afoot on at least a couple of levels.

The menu, which as recently as two years ago featured at least ten traditional Japanese hot entrees, has dwindled to two--sukiyaki & yosenabe. California rolls were axed about a year ago, but I'll grant Katsu that one, if he's opting to separate himself from the masses. But they were so good, truly a work of art for something so simply prepared. To me, it's a casualty that didn't need to happen.

These are a couple of examples that indicate to me that Katsu is morphing from a full-menu Japanese restaurant that featured probably the top-quality sushi in Chicago, to an establishment where the sushi is the main-if-not-only focus, pushing the entrees out, save for a few hot appetizers like their wonderful asparagus beef rolls. And if this is the goal, maybe diners are OK with that change. If the out-of-town glitterati flock to Katsu upon a hotel concierge's recommendation, so be it because they're coming for one thing. The sushi quality remains absolutely superior. The pictures on the wall in the hallway are testament to that--Yo-Yo Ma, Tom Hanks, Mick Jagger, numerous professional athletes.

But I will note that the wait service--which has always been hit-or-miss--has also transitioned, into the realm of casually indifferent. Whether this is another step in the process of graduating into the world of culinary elitism, I can't say. I don't like--for one thing--the lack of warm towels at the outset of the meal and also the periodic upselling of more expensive items, which has come through to me loud and clear more than once. I understand that when you dine at Katsu, it's pretty much 'here's my wallet, do what you wish." But still...

I suppose there could be a conscious effort by Katsu to attain 'Jiro Dreams Of Sushi' status. And he may make it eventually. But it would be at the cost of a damned fine all-around Japanese experience.
  • Post #131 - June 8th, 2015, 11:20 am
    Post #131 - June 8th, 2015, 11:20 am Post #131 - June 8th, 2015, 11:20 am
    Had a very enjoyable meal here over the weekend. Yes, the menu has been pared down a bit on both kitchen and sushi bar items. Fish and rice quality were high, though I think a couple other places in town (Japonais by Morimoto, Momotaro) are at least on equal footing in these areas these days. I found service to be much better than on my previous couple of visits. One server who clouded some earlier visits was not there on this night. The people who did wait on us were friendly, competent and thorough.

The sad news is that the ramen is no more. I'd really come to enjoy wrapping up my meals at Katsu with a nice bowl of kani ramen but when we ordered it, we were told that it was no longer available. I neglected to ask why.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #132 - June 9th, 2015, 5:43 am
    Post #132 - June 9th, 2015, 5:43 am Post #132 - June 9th, 2015, 5:43 am
    Yeah, Ron, I hear you. Kani ramen no more...

When favorite restaurants make curious menu changes, it more often than not leaves me scratching my head in wonder. And while Chef & Mrs. Katsu are always welcoming & nice to us when we dine there, there's almost an aura of inscrutability that shall not be permeated, especially when querying about axed menu items.

Can it be a conscious effort to push diners toward more high-profit percentage offerings, i.e. their top-end sushi/sashimi? Is it a kitchen issue? Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that these decisions they've made will or have already changed their clientele. Except for twice when I ordered an omakase meal (which admittedly was spot-on tremendous), I've always enjoyed a well-rounded Japanese meal there--a few pieces of sushi, then a hot entrée. And I'll bet I wasn't the only one.

I just don't like being overtly forced into anything, which means when I desire hot Japanese entrees in the future, I'll probably opt for Renga-Tei, no doubt saving a few bucks in the process as well. I ain't Katsu's bi-yatch anymore. :(
  • Post #133 - June 9th, 2015, 6:54 am
    Post #133 - June 9th, 2015, 6:54 am Post #133 - June 9th, 2015, 6:54 am
    jnm123 wrote:I ain't Katsu's bi-yatch anymore. :(

My take on Katsu is simple, possibly too simple. Katsu is getting up in age and pruning the menu to make prep and execution easier.

I am, was and will remain Katsu's Bitch!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #134 - March 21st, 2017, 11:16 am
    Post #134 - March 21st, 2017, 11:16 am Post #134 - March 21st, 2017, 11:16 am
    anyone been recently?

anyone know if they offer gift cert/card? I'd like to reward an excellent co-worker. (yes I know I can call, hoping someone knows offhand).
  • Post #135 - September 25th, 2017, 9:41 pm
    Post #135 - September 25th, 2017, 9:41 pm Post #135 - September 25th, 2017, 9:41 pm
    Heading to Katsu for a celebratory dinner this week... any suggestions, or has anyone been lately? Would love to hear some recent experiences.
  • Post #136 - September 25th, 2017, 11:23 pm
    Post #136 - September 25th, 2017, 11:23 pm Post #136 - September 25th, 2017, 11:23 pm
    rtb178 wrote:Heading to Katsu for a celebratory dinner this week... any suggestions, or has anyone been lately? Would love to hear some recent experiences.

Fyi, we merged your post into this more recently active thread about Katsu, so scroll up for information you may have previously missed.

Irrespective of whatever changes have been taking place at Katsu, I think the best bet here is (still) to sit at the bar and order the Omakase. It's doubtful that planning any further in advance than that would lead to a better meal.

=R=
  • Post #137 - September 28th, 2017, 1:31 pm
    Post #137 - September 28th, 2017, 1:31 pm Post #137 - September 28th, 2017, 1:31 pm
    We're headed there tonight, and very excited to finally try Katsu. One last thing: anyone know if they will let you bring in wine with a corkage fee? I can't find any sort of wine list, and don't really love sake. (I did call and leave a message, but I've left this late, so guessing I won't hear from them.) Thanks.
  • Post #138 - September 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm
    Post #138 - September 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm Post #138 - September 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm
    rtb178 wrote:We're headed there tonight, and very excited to finally try Katsu. One last thing: anyone know if they will let you bring in wine with a corkage fee? I can't find any sort of wine list, and don't really love sake. (I did call and leave a message, but I've left this late, so guessing I won't hear from them.) Thanks.

I got an answer from Katsu. $25/bottle, which is perfectly reasonable for us.
  • Post #139 - September 28th, 2017, 3:22 pm
    Post #139 - September 28th, 2017, 3:22 pm Post #139 - September 28th, 2017, 3:22 pm
    http://www.chicagomag.com/dining-drinki ... -Retiring/

By coincidence, this just popped up just minutes after reading through this thread.
  • Post #140 - September 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm
    Post #140 - September 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm Post #140 - September 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm
    alessio20 wrote:http://www.chicagomag.com/dining-drinking/September-2017/Katsu-Closing-Retiring/

By coincidence, this just popped up just minutes after reading through this thread.

Bummer but not entirely surprising. From the linked piece:

This year marks the 29th year Katsu Imamura and wife Haruko have run what many Chicagoans consider the finest and most faithful Japanese restaurant in town. And they have decided it’s time to end this chapter. Imamura, 74, will be retiring at the end of November, and the couple decided Katsu cannot be Katsu without, well, Katsu. Tentatively, they will be closing the Sunday after Thanksgiving, November 26.

=R=
  • Post #141 - September 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm
    Post #141 - September 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm Post #141 - September 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm
    I'm so saddened by this, I was first taken to Katsu by Japanese clients who thought of it as a home away from home when they were posted to Chicago. I'm hoping to get there at least twice before they close they're a piece of the Chicago food scene that will be deeply missed. People always talked about their sushi, but I remember their tonkatsu being wonderful. The last couple of times I had it there I thought it was just OK, but it used to be one of their signature dishes.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #142 - September 29th, 2017, 6:56 am
    Post #142 - September 29th, 2017, 6:56 am Post #142 - September 29th, 2017, 6:56 am
    mbh wrote:I'm so saddened by this, I was first taken to Katsu by Japanese clients who thought of it as a home away from home when they were posted to Chicago. I'm hoping to get there at least twice before they close they're a piece of the Chicago food scene that will be deeply missed. People always talked about their sushi, but I remember their tonkatsu being wonderful. The last couple of times I had it there I thought it was just OK, but it used to be one of their signature dishes.

Dining at Katsu last night was a total privilege. We chose the sushi tasting menu, which was an amazing mix of flavors, textures, and aromas. Matsutake broth has lodged itself deep in my food memory. As for the nigiri, it's hard to imagine fresher or more balanced bites. It was also a bit of an education: I've always had trouble with squid and clam nigiri, and these were both present on our plates. But eating those was a notable textural experience, and I feel like I learned a bit about what these two are *supposed* to taste like. Even if I won't be eating them all the time, I'm happy they were there. Yum.
  • Post #143 - September 29th, 2017, 7:05 am
    Post #143 - September 29th, 2017, 7:05 am Post #143 - September 29th, 2017, 7:05 am
    I can tick off the names of authentic Sushi Bars i have frequented in the Chicago area on the fingers of one hand.
    The original Happi Sushi in Arlington Heights,
    Hatushana when Kuni was the Head Chef.
    Kuni's in Evanston.
    One short lived place on Divison with live tanks whose name escapes me.
    Katsu
    That's about it.
    The rest are like McDonalds.
    Chef's not classically trained, no greeting upon entry. chef's do not keep the tab in their heads, rolls galore and the list goes on.
    But times change and sushi/sashimi is in every grocery store and I suppose somewhere in a gas station.
    So when Kuni closes, that will be it.-Richard
  • Post #144 - September 29th, 2017, 7:22 am
    Post #144 - September 29th, 2017, 7:22 am Post #144 - September 29th, 2017, 7:22 am
    budrichard wrote:One short lived place on Divison with live tanks whose name escapes me.

Heat on Larrabee?
  • Post #145 - September 29th, 2017, 7:29 am
    Post #145 - September 29th, 2017, 7:29 am Post #145 - September 29th, 2017, 7:29 am
    Mixed feelings here...

I've been looking back on my posts on this thread, the first in February 2010. I had been to Katsu a few times before that date, but this was my first omakase, a special occasion with a best buddy and our wives, and I had ramped it up to the high-end one, maybe spending $180 or $200, forget which. And as my post states, it was one of the best food experiences of my life. Can't take that away from chef Katsu, ever.

At the time, I had wondered whether that meal was going to ruin me for other sushi. You know what? It kinda did, but almost more importantly for me it set the bar at Katsu itself unreasonably high. In subsequent visits, when I just ordered 'normal' sushi, in the back of my mind the little man was whispering in my ear 'this ain't from Tsukiji'. Insane, I know. But in a masochistic way, it tempered my enjoyment, no doubt.

And then, over a period of time and some more visits, for whatever reason the menu was systematically altered, inexplicably eliminating some of the wonderful hot entrees Katsu had done so spectacularly. And while chef's wife Haruko was always, always the perfect hostess, some of the waitstaff began the uncomfortable practice of close-to-aggressively upselling higher-end items, and service at times became spotty, sometimes downright brusque. I'll tolerate a lot for good food, but quality service is finite and controllable. In the end, in spite of the stellar sushi, I scaled back my visits.

So...I probably won't be visiting between now and the end one more time for Auld Lang Syne--rather I'll remember the one night a few years ago when I was transported.
  • Post #146 - September 30th, 2017, 12:57 am
    Post #146 - September 30th, 2017, 12:57 am Post #146 - September 30th, 2017, 12:57 am
    deesher wrote:
    budrichard wrote:One short lived place on Divison with live tanks whose name escapes me.

Heat on Larrabee?

Yup!
    Thanks.
    Told the Chef, "just feed us",
    "l'l tell you when to stop!"
    First course, live out of the tank, Mangrove Snapper.
    Composed with mouth upwards and sashimi arrange around.
    Chef severs nerve so fish doesn't move.
    Live small crab of some sort.
    3 types of Toro followed.
    Each successive course was served with or already seasoned.
    No shoyu or additional palate cleanser required other than what was on the plate or provided.
    Memorable Sashimi.-Richard
    BTW, one last dinner is on our schedule.
    Omakase is now at $188 up from $160 when we started.
    Asked for Sushi/Sashimi only.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more