LTH Home

Kosher Hot Dog at Shaevitz’s Kosher Market and Deli

Kosher Hot Dog at Shaevitz’s Kosher Market and Deli
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kosher Hot Dog at Shaevitz’s Kosher Market and Deli

Post #1 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm
    Post #1 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm Post #1 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm
    This place has been mentioned in some old LTH posts. I also saw it in other media.

Decided to try it today. I had the jumbo char dog, fries, and coke. The dog was good size and had a nice char on it. I’ve seen claims that this is the best Kosher dog in the area. I’m not sure if it’s the best.

I don’t know the difference between Kosher and regular. I really liked the flavor. It had a great bite to it. It came with a terrific pickle.

Now the bad: the price and the fries. The fries were fresh cut, but they failed. One of my pet peeves is fries that are pieces. I’d guess that 70% were between 3/4 inch and 1.5 inches in length. At over $13, I thought it was expensive. The menu had a lot of choices, all I thought a little too high.

I was in there for lunch and no one else came in. Not sure if that’s important or not.

D.

Shaevitz’s Kosher Market and Deli
    712 Central
    Highland Park, IL
  • Post #2 - May 23rd, 2018, 6:24 pm
    Post #2 - May 23rd, 2018, 6:24 pm Post #2 - May 23rd, 2018, 6:24 pm
    Hi,

I visited Shaevitz’s in the last year, because I wanted to try the, "Best hot dog in the world." High praise, too, and practically unknown to me, at least.

On the occasion of this visit, I was with another LTH friend who either went for the Polish or the grilled salami. We both ordered their French fries, which is a separate fee. If I recall correctly, they cut slashes into the hot dog, then char cooked it. I assumed the slashes were present to heat through this very thick hot dog. You don't quite get the same snap from the hot dog already cut into.

Father's Day is coming up. I may buy a few of their hot dogs to prepare at home. This time, these dogs will be warmed in water. I want to enjoy that snap this time around.

The prices were pretty steep, so no idea when I might visit again. I did get the bragging rights to having eaten someone's idea of the world's best hot dog.

Our visit was around noon with pretty much every table occupied.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - May 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm
    Post #3 - May 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm Post #3 - May 23rd, 2018, 7:53 pm
    The so called “worlds best hot dog” doesn’t even have a natural casing, so I wouldn’t be counting on all that much snap, no matter how you cook them.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:17 pm
    Post #4 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:17 pm Post #4 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:17 pm
    stevez wrote:The so called “worlds best hot dog” doesn’t even have a natural casing . . .

Ah, the perils of truly keeping Kosher.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #5 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm
    Post #5 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm Post #5 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm
    I thought only a little of the natural casing was removed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Post #6 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:48 pm
    Post #6 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:48 pm Post #6 - May 23rd, 2018, 8:48 pm
    cilantro wrote:I thought only a little of the natural casing was removed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ALOL :lol:
    (actually)

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #7 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm
    Post #7 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm Post #7 - May 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    stevez wrote:The so called “worlds best hot dog” doesn’t even have a natural casing . . .

Ah, the perils of truly keeping Kosher.

=R=

LOL! This really does make this "world's best hot dog," even less special.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #8 - May 24th, 2018, 2:31 pm
    Post #8 - May 24th, 2018, 2:31 pm Post #8 - May 24th, 2018, 2:31 pm
    Hm. Kosher beef casings do exist.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #9 - May 24th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Post #9 - May 24th, 2018, 2:35 pm Post #9 - May 24th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    You’re right Cathy. They did score the dog before fire grilling it. That didn’t bother me. Still liked it.

Steve - so you’re saying it doesn’t have a natural casing? Does the dog have to have one to be Kosher?

D.
  • Post #10 - May 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    Post #10 - May 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm Post #10 - May 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    dodger wrote:Steve - so you’re saying it doesn’t have a natural casing? Does the dog have to have one to be Kosher?

Natural casings suitable in size for hot dogs are generally from pig, which can never be Kosher. So, most truly Kosher hot dogs are skinless or use some sort of man-made casings. There are some exceptions (lamb, for example) but that's generally how it goes.

=R=

• Post #11 - May 24th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    Post #11 - May 24th, 2018, 3:49 pm Post #11 - May 24th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    dodger wrote:Steve - so you’re saying it doesn’t have a natural casing? Does the dog have to have one to be Kosher?

D.

No. Not to be kosher. It needs a natural casing to have that satisfying snap that Cathy (and anyone else who loves a good hot dog) is looking for.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - May 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm
    Post #12 - May 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm Post #12 - May 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm
    I also recently was in Highland Park and decided to try the "best kosher hot dog in the world" after having read this article:

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/242537/ ... et-chicago

I was not that impressed, especially considering the $11 (w/tax) price for the jumbo dog w/fries. Like by dodger mentioned, the fries were soggy and cut way too small. The dog was pretty good but the bun wasn't poppy seed and there were very few condiments offered (no option for it to be "dragged through the garden"). Perhaps that had something to do with the kosher preparation?

I'll stick with the city for hot dogs and continue to enjoy my Red Hot Ranch, Fatso's, Wiener Circle or Superdawg.
  • Post #13 - May 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm
    Post #13 - May 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm Post #13 - May 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm
    If you buy a $11 hot dog, you deserve it.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #14 - May 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm
    Post #14 - May 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm Post #14 - May 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm
    Lerdawg wrote:I'll stick with the city for hot dogs and continue to enjoy my Red Hot Ranch, Fatso's, Wiener Circle or Superdawg.

If you had gone to Michael's nearby or perhaps Mean Wiener in Highwood, you might have been more impressed.

I would not make a sweeping generality on suburban hot dogs vs city by this one visit to Shaevitz's. Especially, when most of us went by that odd article declaring it the best in the world. I am just curious whose world it may be!

I just bought 16 hot dog buns at Costco. Between the brats and dogs I bought recently, it is our way of riding out the heat.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #15 - May 26th, 2018, 2:19 am
    Post #15 - May 26th, 2018, 2:19 am Post #15 - May 26th, 2018, 2:19 am
    Jazzfood wrote:If you buy a $11 hot dog, you deserve it.

I didn’t order a $11 hot dog, I ordered a $5.75 jumbo hot dog along with a $4 order of “fresh cut” fries. With tax my bill was $10.83.

I feel like I deserved better, and I’ll do just that elsewhere.
  • Post #16 - May 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    Post #16 - May 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm Post #16 - May 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    Lerdawg wrote:http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/242537/ ... et-chicago

The dog was pretty good but the bun wasn't poppy seed and there were very few condiments offered (no option for it to be "dragged through the garden").

On the other hand, all four of the GNRs that were nominated primarily for their dogs share the same traits. 'Tiz a puzzle, but LTHers have spoken.
  • Post #17 - May 26th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    Post #17 - May 26th, 2018, 1:04 pm Post #17 - May 26th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    scottsol wrote:

The dog was pretty good but the bun wasn't poppy seed and there were very few condiments offered (no option for it to be "dragged through the garden").

On the other hand, all four of the GNRs that were nominated primarily for their dogs share the same traits. 'Tiz a puzzle, but LTHers have spoken.

Not really. Natural casings seem to be the determining factor.

=R=

• Post #18 - May 26th, 2018, 4:29 pm
    Post #18 - May 26th, 2018, 4:29 pm Post #18 - May 26th, 2018, 4:29 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Not really. Natural casings seem to be the determining factor.

=R=

And minimalist toppings, in most cases.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #19 - May 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    Post #19 - May 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm Post #19 - May 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    scottsol wrote:

Not really. Natural casings seem to be the determining factor.

=R=

It is no surprise that the GNRs use natural casing dogs. But plenty of locations that use poppy seed buns and all the toppings do so as well, but are not GNRs or were nominated for other items rather than their dogs.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more