LTH Home

Oak Park spot for lunch

Oak Park spot for lunch
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Oak Park spot for lunch

    Post #1 - February 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm
    Post #1 - February 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm Post #1 - February 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for suggestions for a pleasant place to have a lunch in Oak Park.
    Now I'm talking about lunch, not expensive haute cuisine. It can be sandwich shop, burger place, whatever. Something good and something that is a good value.
    Thanks.
    Wallyv
  • Post #2 - February 16th, 2017, 2:28 pm
    Post #2 - February 16th, 2017, 2:28 pm Post #2 - February 16th, 2017, 2:28 pm
    Technically not Oak Park, but in nearby Elmwood Park there is Johnnie's Beef.

    Johnnie's Beef
    7500 W North Ave
    Elmwood Park, IL 60707
  • Post #3 - February 16th, 2017, 3:13 pm
    Post #3 - February 16th, 2017, 3:13 pm Post #3 - February 16th, 2017, 3:13 pm
    WallyV-

    You might check out the thread Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene to get some ideas. It's kind of a rambling thread, but has some good info. Hopefully others will chime in.
    -Mary
  • Post #4 - February 16th, 2017, 3:29 pm
    Post #4 - February 16th, 2017, 3:29 pm Post #4 - February 16th, 2017, 3:29 pm
    On Marion (which is a cute street if you have guests) are Q BBQ and Luo's Peking House, after which Sugar Fixe bakery for a coffee and cookie is nice. Carnivore (if you have a bit more time) is a butcher counter with a few hot sandwiches they'll prepare from scratch.

    On Lake Street, Jerusalem Cafe (north) and Khyber Pass (south) have credible buffets, particularly the former (char-grilled chicken thighs especially). Katy's Dumpling House is right there as well - dan dan mein is a great lunch. Nando's Peri Peri for salty Afro-Portuguese or Lou Malnati's for pie if you like slicker productions. Papaspiros (Agora) if you like really schmoozily-served Greek food.

    Unusual and worthwhile: Taste of Brazil on Oak Park Ave. south of 290. Cheese bread, blended fruit lemonade, coffee, sandwiches, soups. Sen Sushi is nearby with good set lunches, almost always busy.

    These are all Oak Park addros. When I have lunchtime in the region I'm usually just outside the perimeter - Johnnie's, Alpine Sub Shop, Big Guys Berwyn, Axcan, Yum Thai, La Parrillita, La Quebrada Cicero, Freddy's Pizza.
  • Post #5 - February 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm
    Post #5 - February 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm Post #5 - February 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm
    Great ideas above. I'll add that I love to stop in to many of the spots above, especially Carnivore and Jerusalem, and carry out to Beer Shop, the byof craft beer bar.
  • Post #6 - February 17th, 2017, 10:09 am
    Post #6 - February 17th, 2017, 10:09 am Post #6 - February 17th, 2017, 10:09 am
    Johnnie's Beef......might want to call first. I think they close for a bit every year around this time.
  • Post #7 - February 17th, 2017, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - February 17th, 2017, 11:44 am Post #7 - February 17th, 2017, 11:44 am
    hoppy2468 wrote:Johnnie's Beef......might want to call first. I think they close for a bit every year around this time.

    Elmwood Park is on their annual 2 week vacation starting today January 30, 2017.
    We reopen Monday February 13, 2017.

    Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 7026394157
  • Post #8 - February 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm
    Post #8 - February 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm Post #8 - February 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm
    Santander wrote:On Marion (which is a cute street if you have guests) are Q BBQ and Luo's Peking House, after which Sugar Fixe bakery for a coffee and cookie is nice. Carnivore (if you have a bit more time) is a butcher counter with a few hot sandwiches they'll prepare from scratch.

    On Lake Street, Jerusalem Cafe (north) and Khyber Pass (south) have credible buffets, particularly the former (char-grilled chicken thighs especially). Katy's Dumpling House is right there as well - dan dan mein is a great lunch. Nando's Peri Peri for salty Afro-Portuguese or Lou Malnati's for pie if you like slicker productions. Papaspiros (Agora) if you like really schmoozily-served Greek food.

    Unusual and worthwhile: Taste of Brazil on Oak Park Ave. south of 290. Cheese bread, blended fruit lemonade, coffee, sandwiches, soups. Sen Sushi is nearby with good set lunches, almost always busy.

    These are all Oak Park addros. When I have lunchtime in the region I'm usually just outside the perimeter - Johnnie's, Alpine Sub Shop, Big Guys Berwyn, Axcan, Yum Thai, La Parrillita, La Quebrada Cicero, Freddy's Pizza.

    All good suggestions! I have been in love with Katy's ever since they have opened.
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #9 - February 19th, 2017, 5:22 pm
    Post #9 - February 19th, 2017, 5:22 pm Post #9 - February 19th, 2017, 5:22 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:All good suggestions! I have been in love with Katy's ever since they have opened.

    Well, watch out if you go any time soon. The Oak Park location was just featured on Check, Please! last week.

    =R=
    If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said faster horses --Henry Ford

    Without wood, barbecue wouldn’t be barbecue -- Aaron Franklin

    Freedom demands that those in power allow others to think for themselves.

    I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #10 - February 20th, 2017, 7:26 am
    Post #10 - February 20th, 2017, 7:26 am Post #10 - February 20th, 2017, 7:26 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:All good suggestions! I have been in love with Katy's ever since they have opened.

    Well, watch out if you go any time soon. The Oak Park location was just featured on Check, Please! last week.

    =R=


    Yup

    My wife and I popped in for a quick bowl of noodles after going to the gym on last Friday night only to find the place really packed, about the most packed I've ever seen it.
  • Post #11 - February 21st, 2017, 1:33 pm
    Post #11 - February 21st, 2017, 1:33 pm Post #11 - February 21st, 2017, 1:33 pm
    Thanks for replies. I'll check out suggestions. If I would be going this week, outdoors would have been desired! What weather! When I go later in spring it will probably be chilly.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more